Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay audio disconnects 2012 Mac mini server from the network

Problem: when choosing an audio output device, like an Airplay 2 speaker, or Apple Airport Express; the streaming device (Mac mini running Catalina) disconnects from the network when connected directly to the main gateway (MIkrotik hAP2).

Every other device in my household can Airplay without issues. Those are all connected via Wi-Fi, where the Mac mini is on an ethernet only connection.

The Mac mini fails to Airplay via Wi-Fi too; but in this scenario, it is not temporarily disconnected, as it is when hardwired.

Network chain:

Mac mini ethernet-> Mikrotik hAP2 wi-fi-> Airport Express (Join Network)

Posted on May 27, 2022 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2022 8:11 AM

Having lost patience with–what I assume–is an OS bound error, I went the RogueAmoeba route.

The ACE driver seems to do the trick. Airfoil works seamlessly, accepting incoming Airplay audio streams and sending system audio to the Airplay speaker from the Mac.

This works for my purposes.

Airparrot failed every time, and nagged for an Airplay password (which is not set). Would not recommend for this audio streaming scenario.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2022 8:11 AM in response to platinumbob

Having lost patience with–what I assume–is an OS bound error, I went the RogueAmoeba route.

The ACE driver seems to do the trick. Airfoil works seamlessly, accepting incoming Airplay audio streams and sending system audio to the Airplay speaker from the Mac.

This works for my purposes.

Airparrot failed every time, and nagged for an Airplay password (which is not set). Would not recommend for this audio streaming scenario.

May 28, 2022 10:16 AM in response to platinumbob

Thanks for letting us know, platinumbob,

We'd like to rule out the possibility of any wireless interference causing this behavior. This resource explains how: Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

If you're still experiencing the same behavior after ruling out wireless interference, we'd suggest that you contact Apple directly here: Apple Support

Take care!

May 28, 2022 8:07 AM in response to TammyW_03

Hey @Tammy_W

None of that helped unfortunately.

The weird thing about the glitch is watching the Network preferences while trying to connect to an Airplay speaker: the Ethernet flicks to disconnected, the Mac loses its IP address and a couple seconds later it all comes back.

I forgot to mention the Mac has a static IP address assigned by the router (for Wi-Fi and Ethernet). I wonder if that could cause these issues?

Every other other device in the house happily streams audio to this Airplay speaker.

Airplay audio disconnects 2012 Mac mini server from the network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.