Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where to find the file with the list of installations displayed under systeminformation ?

Can someone point me to the file that lists the "installations" that are displayed under /Systeminformation/Software/Installations ?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 6:12 AM

The processes that update that list of system information installations are privileged System processes, and the data they write that is used to present that list of installations is very likely in a System protected location, and quite probably in a sqlite3 database.

13 replies

Jul 28, 2020 9:40 AM in response to RogierDG

RogierDG wrote:

I would like to close all discussions that are not directly related to my original question.

Your original question was already answered and as the OP you are the only one who can "close" (marked as solved or helpful.) Which in itself will not halt replies from interested parties from participating.

"Can someone point me to the file that lists the "installations" that are displayed under /Systeminformation/Software/Installations ?"

[ You do not have privileged System access to the sqlite3 database. ]

You can submit Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Jul 28, 2020 7:55 AM in response to RogierDG

RogierDG wrote:

Knowing what has been installed on your system and when can be usefull to trace back some problems with leftover files, and if some past installations do not show up in the list then it defeats the purpose.

Maybe you can give an example... to help clarify what is "some problems with leftover files"

defeats what purpose(?) as for as I can tell "Installations" simply represents 'recent updates.'

Jul 28, 2020 8:20 AM in response to leroydouglas

First, just deleting an app, can leave a lot of maps and files such as plist's that take up space, or can be incompatible with new versions of the program (I had such a problem with illustrator). I recently found that an app like AppCleaner can locate a lot of them, but still you need a good search app such as EasyFind to locate them all and remove them (Spotlight is of no help ).

Second, the installations section of systeminformation, displays all installations you ever did on your system, not only the recent updates, regardless of what is still on your system.

So I hope this clarifies my point, but as I mentionned I would like to close all discussions that are not directly related to my original question.

Jul 28, 2020 10:55 AM in response to leroydouglas

Well I know how to remove the SIP to get full access if necessary thank you.

Being in a sqlite3 data base does not solve my original question yet. Since Etrecheck can access that file, for its reports, it must be available somewhere.

I just want to stop discussions which do not bring a direct answer to my question. No offence !

I am happy to entertain other discussions, and share my experience if you open a new topic.

Where to find the file with the list of installations displayed under systeminformation ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.