Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random Malware?!

Hello! I have ran a Malwarebytes scan and found some malware, even though I did not download anything. I have had malware and adware problems in the past, and I am wondering if it has anything to do with activity monitor or an app I downloaded. I have Spotify, Malwarebytes, Discord, Roblox, Google Chrome, RobloxStudio, Minecraft, Java (With Minecraft), TinyTake, and Zoom. I also would like to know what processes are required on Activity Monitor, just in case. Another thing I'm wondering is if people can just download malware on a random computer and I may not have to worry. My final question: Can Malwarebytes quit processes on Activity Monitor? I know I have a lot of questions, but I'm really curious and want my malware problems to stop. Thank you.

In a past post, I also had someone ask if the notations down bottom are correct (What type of MacBook). I want to say that they are and I am using the latest software (I downloaded it last night)

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 7:50 PM

That is absolutely the worst advice ever...For the OP, stay away from "mackeeper," "as if it were a swarm of bees."

Read: Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community for some great advice.

Similar questions

12 replies

Jul 29, 2020 10:32 AM in response to DarkFox42

Relying on any security software to prevent any and all malware will eventually fail, every - single - time. No matter what it is, it can only detect and remove what it knows about.

MalwareBytes is pretty much the only Mac software for this type of thing any experienced Mac user will recommend. But it isn't, and can't be perfect. You can't rely on it to allow you to install anything and everything you feel like and, somehow, have perfect protection. That will never happen.

And just to repeat what's already been said, stay away from MacKeeper as if it were a nuclear bomb less than 5 seconds from going off. The company has been sued - twice - for its false and misleading claims. And they still do it. You can put MacKeeper on a brand new Mac out of the box, and it will say you have dozens of serious issues. All of which can be "fixed" if you simply pay for a completely worthless subscription.

After all that, yes, you did download and install something, or it wouldn't be there. There are no Mac viruses (malware that self replicates). Virtually everything is a Trojan (malware YOU must install in some manner). No AV software of any kind, including MalwareBytes, will stop you from installing a Trojan. MalwareBytes may recognize something you've installed after the fact, but not necessarily. It still comes down to how new of a threat it is.

Jul 29, 2020 4:33 PM in response to DarkFox42

Sites like downloads.com include this junk because they get paid for every download that includes the adware. It's not considered "bad" because adware is just that. It clogs and slows down your computer with relentless ads, but nothing truly malicious.

I do visit such sites when I'm looking for a particular type of software. But I will not download anything from such file aggregate sites. I get the names of the software I want to try and then find the web site of vendor who makes it. Then download it directly from them.

Jul 28, 2020 7:40 PM in response to DarkFox42

it seems that malware and adware got installed while surfing web

i recommend installing mackeeper stopad extension to both safari and chrome

Random Malware?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.