Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting the "Login Failed" message although I have remedied the issue many times. Is there a recommended fix for this?

I keep getting the "Login Failed" message for my mail app although I have remedied the issue many times. Is there a recommended fix for this?

MacBook

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 8:14 PM

Carlos, there's a silly thing about Mail in OSX...

ave you changed your eMail password lately?

Works sometimes even if you haven’t

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

But... it can be impossible to find the passwords for the Auto setup accounts, & if IMAP generally requires deleting the account &setting it up again. :(

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2020 8:14 PM in response to carlosrubenquinones

Carlos, there's a silly thing about Mail in OSX...

ave you changed your eMail password lately?

Works sometimes even if you haven’t

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

But... it can be impossible to find the passwords for the Auto setup accounts, & if IMAP generally requires deleting the account &setting it up again. :(

I keep getting the "Login Failed" message although I have remedied the issue many times. Is there a recommended fix for this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.