Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud photos not optimizing storage

Yesterday I upgraded my iCloud storage from 5GB to 50GB, because the storage on my 64GB iPhone was full and it said that if I turned on iCloud photos I could save 29GB. I turned iCloud photos on, but my storage is still full, and I'm new to using iCloud so I have no idea how to fix this, what do I need to do?

Thanks.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 3:21 PM

If your iPhone storage is full, then purchasing extra iCloud storage wouldn't change that but it can help in some way because iCloud stores your data in the cloud and a smaller footprint on your device. You change your iCloud Photos settings to Optimize Phone Storage which will decrease that footprint even further on the device.

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

About storage on your device and in iCloud - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2020 3:21 PM in response to Jackie_E_

If your iPhone storage is full, then purchasing extra iCloud storage wouldn't change that but it can help in some way because iCloud stores your data in the cloud and a smaller footprint on your device. You change your iCloud Photos settings to Optimize Phone Storage which will decrease that footprint even further on the device.

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

About storage on your device and in iCloud - Apple Support

icloud photos not optimizing storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.