Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music - is it still applying DRM protection to CD's / own private content

Hi,

I know from when Apple music first launched, it went through a phase of applying DRM to consumers own media e.g CD's at the point of uploading it to the cloud.

iTunes match on the other hand does not, instead it sees if the file exists in the itunes store already and uploads it, with the option of re-downloading it in a nice 256Kbps AAC format, unprotected DRM of course.

However, in more recent articles, Apple states the following:-

If you have an Apple Music membership, you get all of the benefits of iTunes Match, plus access to the entire Apple Music catalog.

This still isn't very clear as to what i'm trying to establish so please see below.

My questions are as follows:-

1. I still have both an apple music and iTunes match subscription. If I cancel my iTunes match subscription, will I still be able to import / add unprotected media and have it upload to my apple music subscription AND be able to re-download it WITHOUT DRM protection?

2:- If I cancel my iTunes match subscription, will apple music "pick up from where iTunes match" left off or will it insist on scanning my entire physical library on my machine again, and then re-upload everything from scratch?

Thanks in advance

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 10:39 AM

1. Yes, although I would still recommend you maintain your own backup of all original content rather that relying on the ability to redownload in future. Matched media is not guaranteed to be bit for bit identical to your source music. A typical issue it that sometimes explicit tracks may be matched to clean versions.
  2. The process should be seamless. Again, you backup first anyway.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2020 10:39 AM in response to Phoenix407

1. Yes, although I would still recommend you maintain your own backup of all original content rather that relying on the ability to redownload in future. Matched media is not guaranteed to be bit for bit identical to your source music. A typical issue it that sometimes explicit tracks may be matched to clean versions.
  2. The process should be seamless. Again, you backup first anyway.

tt2

Apple Music - is it still applying DRM protection to CD's / own private content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.