Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPAD 2 app downloads

I recently wiped my IPAD 2 and set it up under new apple id. It is on iOS 9.3.5 but it does not allow me to download any apps in the app store. Particularly trying Facebook. Am i not allowed to download anymore?

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 1:26 PM

What happens when you try to download Apps exactly? Do you get an error? If so what does it say?

The current Facebook App requires iOS 10 or later, and unless Facebook maintains an older version compatible with iOs 9, you likely will get the "This app is incompatible with this iPad" message. Its not that you aren't allowed to download its that the available version no longer works on your iPad.

The fact is, there are very few apps left in the App store that are still compatible with iOS 9 at this point. 4 major iOS versions, and a move to 64 bit architecture forced the update of many many apps to versions that require a newer device and iOS version.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2020 1:26 PM in response to davnronda

What happens when you try to download Apps exactly? Do you get an error? If so what does it say?

The current Facebook App requires iOS 10 or later, and unless Facebook maintains an older version compatible with iOs 9, you likely will get the "This app is incompatible with this iPad" message. Its not that you aren't allowed to download its that the available version no longer works on your iPad.

The fact is, there are very few apps left in the App store that are still compatible with iOS 9 at this point. 4 major iOS versions, and a move to 64 bit architecture forced the update of many many apps to versions that require a newer device and iOS version.

Jul 29, 2020 2:09 PM in response to davnronda

You also need to know that Apple ended update support for iPad2 in September 2016. iPad2 cannot be updated to iOS 10 or later versions as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements for new versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Many App Developers have also dropped support for older devices and iOS versions preceding iOS11/12/13 - and have withdrawn older versions of their Apps from the Apple App Store, now limiting utility and usefulness of older devices.  You will find that Apps compatible with you iPad are now not available for (re)download or (re)installation - therefore severely impacting the usefulness and utility of your [now very old] iPad2.

If Apps that you need to use now have higher minimum iOS-version requirements, your only option is to replace your iPad with newer model. Of current models, even the budget priced iPad7 supports current iPadOS13.x (and the soon to be released iPadOS14) and has hardware specifications and capabilities that will vastly outperform your old iPad.

I hope this information helpful in clearly outlining the limitations of your current iPad and available options.

IPAD 2 app downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.