Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch not counting exercise minutes

Hello,

I have an issue with my Apple Watch Series 4. For the past few weeks my watch is not correctly counting exercise minutes. Today for example I was on a walk for around 2-3 hours. The battery of my Apple Watch ended after the first half of my walk. When I came at home and checked the Activity app on my phone it is showing 0 exercise minutes which can’t be correct.

Can somebody suggest me what to do because I am mainly using my Watch to track my activity and since it is not working correctly it is becoming unusable?

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 6

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 2:11 PM

I can't comment on what happens when the battery runs out - I'd assume it would record everything up to that point, but am not sure.

However, apart from that 'Outdoor Walk' causes a lot of confusion for a lot of people because of what qualifies as 'exercise'.

As far as the Apple Watch is concerned, a walk is only 'exercise' if you exceed a certain pace (about 18:20 minutes/mile, IIRC), or if your heart rate rises above a certain level.

This means that if you're taking a leisurely stroll, stop to talk to the neighbors, or are walking the dog who stops to sniff at every lamppost, fire hydrant and blade of grass on the way, you might not meet the criteria for 'exercise'.

Without knowing more about your walk it's impossible to be more precise, but these are some of the things that catch out a lot of people.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2020 2:11 PM in response to Vikt0riya

I can't comment on what happens when the battery runs out - I'd assume it would record everything up to that point, but am not sure.

However, apart from that 'Outdoor Walk' causes a lot of confusion for a lot of people because of what qualifies as 'exercise'.

As far as the Apple Watch is concerned, a walk is only 'exercise' if you exceed a certain pace (about 18:20 minutes/mile, IIRC), or if your heart rate rises above a certain level.

This means that if you're taking a leisurely stroll, stop to talk to the neighbors, or are walking the dog who stops to sniff at every lamppost, fire hydrant and blade of grass on the way, you might not meet the criteria for 'exercise'.

Without knowing more about your walk it's impossible to be more precise, but these are some of the things that catch out a lot of people.

Jul 29, 2020 4:11 PM in response to Vikt0riya

To earn 1 minute of exercise credit(green ring);

Travel a full minute at a brisk walking pace(3.3 mph approx) or above.

Raise your heart rate to approx 75% of your maximum.

When you're at around or above this heart rate for the entire minute you'll receive 1 exercise minute credit.

If you pause or slow down then you won't get any exercise credit.

Apple Watch not counting exercise minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.