Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot simply edit a file name if opening a doc in a program (Photoshop, InDesign, Word)

If I am opening a file in, for example InDesign, I used to (prior to my upgrade to Catalina) be able to Right Mouse Click to rename a file, this would allow me to click into the file name and add or subtract text.

Now, my only option seems to be to Right Mouse Cllick > Rename > Return, which deletes all the file name and I therefore have to retype a completely new one, or frustratingly try and remember exactly what the old file name was if I simply need to add or omit a number or one word to the existing file name.

This may seem like a small thing but when you're opening a closing docs all day and want to quickly edit a file name this was invaluable, this new method not so much (it's a pain!).

I'm really not sure why little useful details like this get changed, some things are best left as is.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 3:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 5:21 AM

Use the Finder to edit the filename. Left click on the filename in the finder, press return, edit the name, and press return again. Done.

Similar questions

2 replies

Cannot simply edit a file name if opening a doc in a program (Photoshop, InDesign, Word)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.