Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target display mode with two iMac.

My wife got a new iMac a couple months ago, we have a late 2009 iMac we would like to use in Target Display. The method seems to be simple enough - command + F2.

The older mac is running Lion 10.7.5. I called in, they told me to upgrade. I attempted to upgrade via the netboot method the tech wanted, but that doesn't seem to be supported in Lion. I tried El Capitan and Sierra through support.apple.com

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

While they run, the version is still Lion!

I honestly don't think this has anything to do with the os version. Everything I have seen says TDM worked on Lion. The cabling is direct from Apple, they said, and others on this forum said this cableing arrangement work work.

Anyone done this?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 8:47 AM

Is the late 2009 iMac a 21.5" or a 27"? Only the 2009 27" supports Target Display Mode.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

According to the article, the mac OS version on the target nedd only be 10.13 High Sierra or earlier.

Similar questions

1 reply

Target display mode with two iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.