Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use Target Display Mode with late 2013 display iMac with 2018 Macbook Pro

I have a 2018 Macbook Pro running 12.0.1 and I am trying to connect it to an old iMac (late 2013, running 10.11.2). My Macbook has no display ports so I currently have the display adapter, connected to HDMI cord, connected to a Mini Display Port adapter that is connected to the iMac. Command f2 is doing nothing. Is there anything else I can try?

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 5:19 AM

Did you read this?

iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014

To use any of these iMac models as an external display:

• The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced
  • in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
  • The cable connecting the two Mac computers must be a Thunderbolt  or Thunderbolt 2  cable.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2021 5:19 AM in response to cjp009

Did you read this?

iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014

To use any of these iMac models as an external display:

• The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced
  • in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
  • The cable connecting the two Mac computers must be a Thunderbolt  or Thunderbolt 2  cable.

Jan 1, 2022 2:53 PM in response to dialabrain

Even though they say your other Mac must have Catalina or earlier, that's not entirely true. I use TDM with Big Sur on my 2019 MacBook Pro all the time. I guess it's just "not supported" anymore. There is a caveat though: quite often after pressing Cmd+F2 the iMac does not turn it's backlight. Turning TMD on and off several times helps. Also I didn't manage to get the sound working through TDM (I think it wasn't working on Catalina either).

How to use Target Display Mode with late 2013 display iMac with 2018 Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.