Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

two devices to one headphones

I want to connect one pair of wired headphones to both my iPad and iMac. I'm taking calls on both devices and I don't want to be switching back and forth all day. Is this possible?

iPad Air 3 WiFi, Cellular

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 12:15 PM

4 replies

Jul 30, 2020 6:35 PM in response to ben321a

In theory you could try 2 male/female ‘three ring’ 3.5MM cables - basically a cable with a plug just like your headset has with the left/right and microphone connection ring and a Y that is female on the Y end and male on the two end and see if you can have each device think it’s the only thing plugged in.

LIke this

https://www.amazon.com/ARCHEER-Headphone-Extension-Compatible-Microphone/dp/B01N1VJGGE/ref=sr_1_4?crid=KK1MVAD7XT1P&dchild=1&keywords=headset+extension+cable&qid=1596158994&sprefix=Headset+ex%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Splitter-Computer-Smartphone-Headset/dp/B08BDC6VPL/ref=sr_1_18_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=3.5mm+y&qid=1596159145&sr=8-18-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTE01MVhURkNDUzFOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzk3MjYxMzgwVlpDWDUwOFBRQSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjQ1NjI5MlBQNTZWRUJJUDUyRCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0Zl9uZXh0JmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Then plug your headset into the single female end

No idea if this frankenstein will work (and if you have lightning all I can suggest is search amazon)

Jul 30, 2020 6:52 PM in response to Skydiver119

I've actually wasted a lot of time searching through Amazon today, and came up with a Frankenstein very similar to yours. I had doubts about it though because the splitter is intended for one side to be Mic only and the other for audio. So I'm not sure if I'd have both available on each device.

I may give this a try, but I thought there should be an easier way. I really appreciate the advice.

two devices to one headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.