Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why when I send an attachment as an icon in Macmail in Catalina, does it arrives, inline, to the person I sent it to

Why when I send an attachment as an icon in Macmail in Catalina, that it arrives inline to the person I sent it to, and NOT as an icon? It appears that Macmail will allow you to VIEW it as an icon, but it isn't really an icon, when it arrives in an email of someone, or at least with someone who is on a PC. They have told me that they can't right click it, to download it, and that it is stuck in the email. They make me turn whatever jpg attachment I am trying to send, into a PDF, so that they can download it. It seems so weird that Apple still hasn't fixed this issue.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 10:01 PM

Send email attachments to Windows users

In the Mail app  on your Mac, try these suggestions:

• Send Windows-friendly attachments. To do so for all messages, choose Edit > Attachments, then select Always Send Windows-Friendly Attachments. For a specific message, click the Attach button  in the toolbar of the new message window, then select Send Windows-Friendly Attachments (if you don’t see the checkbox, click Options in the bottom corner).
  • Send documents as PDFs instead of in their original format.
  • Use filename extensions (such as .docx for a Microsoft Word document).
  • If the recipient sees two attachments (such as “MyFile” and “._MyFile”), the recipient can ignore the file with the underscore (such as “._MyFile”).

To display an attachment (such as a one-page PDF document or an image) as an icon, Control-click the attachment in your message, then choose View as Icon. To show the attachment again, Control-click it, then choose View in Place.

If the message size shown on the left side of the message header is red, the attachments are causing your message to exceed size limits set by your email account provider. Try reducing the number or size of attachments or use Mail Drop.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/add-attachments-to-emails-mlhlp1050/mac#:~:text=To%20do%20so%20for%20all,Options%20in%20the%20bottom%20corner).

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2020 10:01 PM in response to Artistgirl1010

Send email attachments to Windows users

In the Mail app  on your Mac, try these suggestions:

• Send Windows-friendly attachments. To do so for all messages, choose Edit > Attachments, then select Always Send Windows-Friendly Attachments. For a specific message, click the Attach button  in the toolbar of the new message window, then select Send Windows-Friendly Attachments (if you don’t see the checkbox, click Options in the bottom corner).
  • Send documents as PDFs instead of in their original format.
  • Use filename extensions (such as .docx for a Microsoft Word document).
  • If the recipient sees two attachments (such as “MyFile” and “._MyFile”), the recipient can ignore the file with the underscore (such as “._MyFile”).

To display an attachment (such as a one-page PDF document or an image) as an icon, Control-click the attachment in your message, then choose View as Icon. To show the attachment again, Control-click it, then choose View in Place.

If the message size shown on the left side of the message header is red, the attachments are causing your message to exceed size limits set by your email account provider. Try reducing the number or size of attachments or use Mail Drop.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/add-attachments-to-emails-mlhlp1050/mac#:~:text=To%20do%20so%20for%20all,Options%20in%20the%20bottom%20corner).

Jul 30, 2020 5:12 PM in response to Artistgirl1010

Apple Mail - remove in-line attachments

There is no current way to stop attachments being embedded in-line with Apple Mail. Annoying.

This simple command in Terminal will use the traditional method, whereby an attachment is just that - an attachment:

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes

Your message is now image and clutter free.

Now if you want to revert it back, then simply enter the following command in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool no

Mysterious Create new User fix…

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250392234?answerId=250754157022#250754157022

How to stop inline attachments

Simple fix I found..

Open Terminal, can be done by searching "terminal" in search bar.

copy and paste the following ( without quotes) "

"defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes"

Just know that this turns off inline images entirely, including any images you may have in your email signature. To revert back to the default inline mode, simply replace the “yes” at the end with the word “false” (without quotes).

Jul 30, 2020 6:08 PM in response to BDAqua

I have done the “defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes” in Mojave and it worked, In the sense that all attachments were icons, but, the person with a PC, on the other end still received it as an embedded attachment, so it didn’t really work for the person receiving the attachment. Also, “defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes” doesn’t work, at all, in Catalina.

Jul 31, 2020 6:57 AM in response to BDAqua

Yes, the windows friendly attachment box is checked and I right click for view as icon. It still isn't in windows friendly form when the recipient gets it. It is still embedded. If they need to get it in a jpg form, then the PDF form isn't going to work. It seems weird to me that Apple still hasn't made a better solution for this. Their supposed solutions don't really work for the recipient.

Why when I send an attachment as an icon in Macmail in Catalina, does it arrives, inline, to the person I sent it to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.