Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using external sad password protected format

I have a MacBook Air a1369 that I had to pull SSD because it wouldn’t allow me to access administrative options was locked could not shut it off or use recovery mode was given to me because owner had been deployed to Middle East 2 Yrs and forgot all password info never used hint option either so I have removed it installed in a external enclosure. But although I can’t see the drive with this utility I can’t seem to access it with recovery mode Or partitioning erase, resize, nothing is there something I’m missing here I am new to this. My Thinking was to format this ssd nearby bypassing any administrative issues and install back into the macbook then install the os. But I’m. Now of the opinion there must be some kind of administrative block even when removed from the original computer I Believe it was running Either Sierra or High Sierra any help would be appreciated thank you

Doug

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 11:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 7:00 AM

The problem when the SSD is protected, the only way to unlock it is through their iCloud account credentials. If they have given them to you, http://iforgot.apple.com might be able to help.

Note, once locked, you can partition out the locked partition if there is space, and install on a separate partition with Disk Utility with the internet recovery. However, you won't be able to upgrade the Mac's internal drive. External drives are a different matter. The only real work around would be to recover the locked partition's password.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2020 7:00 AM in response to douglas d.frommesa

The problem when the SSD is protected, the only way to unlock it is through their iCloud account credentials. If they have given them to you, http://iforgot.apple.com might be able to help.

Note, once locked, you can partition out the locked partition if there is space, and install on a separate partition with Disk Utility with the internet recovery. However, you won't be able to upgrade the Mac's internal drive. External drives are a different matter. The only real work around would be to recover the locked partition's password.

Using external sad password protected format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.