Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm creating Motion templates, but how do I create editable parameters?

I've painstakingly created a motion file and saved it as a template. Everything works, opens in FCPX no problem. But I'd like to have the parameters to be editable on the Title Inspector. Other templates I've purchased or used from Motion have this, but on my home made ones it's not there. Now I'm able to just double click on my text and change it, but I'm creating this for my assistants to make things easier for them.

Edit: I also have a dropzone for a short video, I'd like to be able to adjust the X, Y and Z as well as scale it accordingly.

Thanks!

Mac Pro

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 11:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 1:02 AM

For each object in Motion, whatever you would like to have to be editable in FCPX, find that parameter and right click on it. At the bottom of the popup menu will be the Option to Publish that parameter. You can check on it in Motion by clicking the Project layer at the top of the layers list and click on the Publishing tab. That is the list of editable parameters you will have in FCPX.

Warning: You cannot publish keyframed parameters. They simply will not work in FCPX. You have to do your keyframing in FCPX, or you have to find another way to have keyframed animations go on "behind the scenes" that will "blend" with the parameters you publish.

When you add a Drop Zone, the "source well" will automatically be published... but only the source well. If you plan to be able to have the Pan and Scale be available, you will need to publish those separately. The Pan and Scale of the Drop Zone affect the positioning of the media within the bounds of the Drop Zone (however you have it laid out). If you want to be able to publish the position and scale of the DZ, then you would publish the Properties > Transform parameters for that (DZ) object. These are two completely different aspects!

Once you get all your parameters published (or while you are publishing parameters) you can reorder them in the Project Publishing pane by clicking on the names and dragging them into the order you would like to have in FCPX. You can also rename all the published parameters by double clicking the name and typing in a new name. Be mindful that you don't really have a lot of space (FCPX will cut labels off if there's not enough room) — so keep them short. [You won't be able to rename the Drop Zone label however... go figure...]

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2020 1:02 AM in response to robonekea

For each object in Motion, whatever you would like to have to be editable in FCPX, find that parameter and right click on it. At the bottom of the popup menu will be the Option to Publish that parameter. You can check on it in Motion by clicking the Project layer at the top of the layers list and click on the Publishing tab. That is the list of editable parameters you will have in FCPX.

Warning: You cannot publish keyframed parameters. They simply will not work in FCPX. You have to do your keyframing in FCPX, or you have to find another way to have keyframed animations go on "behind the scenes" that will "blend" with the parameters you publish.

When you add a Drop Zone, the "source well" will automatically be published... but only the source well. If you plan to be able to have the Pan and Scale be available, you will need to publish those separately. The Pan and Scale of the Drop Zone affect the positioning of the media within the bounds of the Drop Zone (however you have it laid out). If you want to be able to publish the position and scale of the DZ, then you would publish the Properties > Transform parameters for that (DZ) object. These are two completely different aspects!

Once you get all your parameters published (or while you are publishing parameters) you can reorder them in the Project Publishing pane by clicking on the names and dragging them into the order you would like to have in FCPX. You can also rename all the published parameters by double clicking the name and typing in a new name. Be mindful that you don't really have a lot of space (FCPX will cut labels off if there's not enough room) — so keep them short. [You won't be able to rename the Drop Zone label however... go figure...]

Aug 3, 2020 2:26 AM in response to robonekea

It is very easy to:

1) Rename the published parameters: for example if you publish the Scale of several objects you don’t want to see in FCP:

Scale

Scale

but perhaps

Circle Scale

Rectangle Scale

1) Reorder the published parameters so they appear in an organized fashion in FCP Inspector.

Both of the above are trivial to do in Motion. Just select the Project in the Layers list, and make the above changes in the Inspector.

I'm creating Motion templates, but how do I create editable parameters?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.