Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

split paragraph into sentences

I'm an English language teacher and want to paste some text into something - and split it into sentences - so the sentences appear on individual lines (or cells). I have MacBook Pro Catalina and iPad 2020. How can I do this?

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 2:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 11:09 AM

You can do it with the free version of BBEdit. Do a search and replace with this criteria:

Search for: period + space

Replace with: /n/n

Then you can copy and paste the resulting separated sentences into any document you'd like.

You can also do it with the free Bean text editor app:

8 replies

Jul 31, 2020 10:14 AM in response to Lauragalaura

Now I understand what you are doing. Good for you! What a great technique. Here is a suggestion for when you are using Word or a word processor. Depending on the app and the version you are using. somewhere at the top of the page is an icon or button which you can click on to illuminate the end o paragraph sign. Doing this makes it easier to see where you have inserted an empty line (or space). It is there, or at the end of a paragraph that you can insert an additional line for the students to edit. Long story short, I suggest that you just play with your word processor to see how you can do what you want. You can also highlight text and then change its color for illustration purposes. Good luck.

split paragraph into sentences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.