Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

While on wireless charging my phone repeatedly sounds a “bong” as it cycles off and on charging. The phone is supposed to be silenced for the night. This is disturbing at night. How can I silence this noise, too?

While on wireless charging my phone repeatedly sounds a “bong” as it cycles off and on charging. The phone is supposed to be silenced for the night. This is disturbing at night. How can I silence this noise, too?

iPhone 8

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 6:02 AM

my suggestions after testing quickly on my phone:

1) I'm assuming when you say that your phone is supposed to be 'silenced' for the night, you are really talking about 'do not disturb'? This is not enough to silence those charging sounds. If you turn the switch off near the volume buttons, this will silence that tone

2) if your phone is sitting on a wireless charger properly, I do not believe it will switch on and off charging like that. You might have a phone case that is not quite compatible with wireless charging, or maybe you don't have it positioned quite right?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2020 6:02 AM in response to LarryQ1

my suggestions after testing quickly on my phone:

1) I'm assuming when you say that your phone is supposed to be 'silenced' for the night, you are really talking about 'do not disturb'? This is not enough to silence those charging sounds. If you turn the switch off near the volume buttons, this will silence that tone

2) if your phone is sitting on a wireless charger properly, I do not believe it will switch on and off charging like that. You might have a phone case that is not quite compatible with wireless charging, or maybe you don't have it positioned quite right?

Jul 31, 2020 4:26 PM in response to Chris0107

Yes, It is on a scheduled do not disturb from 11pm - 6 am. I’m pretty sure I saw that on a fairly recent update a feature was added to cycle charging to achieve full charge in the morning instead of going to 100% and staying the rest of the night. Was assuming that is why it is cycling since that update. Have repeatedly checked positioning. Never had the problem before that update. Thanks for the input, though. I guess the switch should work as a last resort but would prefer to have the do not disturb allow the phone to ring for calls from my family list.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.