Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stereo Pair Randomly Unpairs After 13.4.8 Update

After updating two HomePods in a stereo-pair configuration to 13.4.8, the system drops one (which one it drops is random) after listening to music for a few minutes.

I tried restarting, resetting and repairing the HomePods about three times now and the result is always the same: It works for a little while and then stops after 5-15 minutes. Prior to this software update, the system would maintain stereo status unless I unpaired them via HomeKit.

WiFi in my home is stellar, with 100+ mb/s from almost anywhere and with little interference, so I don't think it's a connection issue. Once one of the pair drops, I can tap the touch panel and it will start to play a different song immediately.

I also tried streaming music to them from Apple Music on my phone as well as directly from the HomePod (without the phone) and get the same results. Anecdotally, it seems to take longer for the pair to drop when streaming from the HomePod.

Is there anything else I can try? I think the software needs to be patched but am hoping I'm missing something simple.

HomePod

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 1:41 PM

Some things you can try:

• Unplug the homepods for a few seconds 
  • lift the homepods off the surface and rock them gently to recalibrate. When they think they got moved, they adjust
  • try asking them to play music to all, both or everywhere - this may get them back in sync
  • Use another app: Go to a different app on your device which uses HomePod and see if it pairs. This may restore sync.
  • Try swapping left and right - back and forth a few times.
  • On the iOS device that you use to set up HomePod, make sure that you signed in to iCloud with your Apple ID and turned on iCloud Keychain. You also need to have two-factor authentication set up for your Apple ID.
  • Make sure that your iOS device has Bluetooth turned on and is connected to your home Wi-Fi network.*
  • Reboot your wifi router - unplug the router for 30 seconds

If they still don’t work:

•  you can also sign out of iCloud in the home app,  then sign back in 

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2020 1:41 PM in response to Schickenipple

Some things you can try:

• lift the homepods off the surface and rock them gently to recalibrate. When they think they got moved, they adjust
  • try asking them to play music to all, both or everywhere - this may get them back in sync
  • Use another app: Go to a different app on your device which uses HomePod and see if it pairs. This may restore sync.
  • Try swapping left and right - back and forth a few times.
  • On the iOS device that you use to set up HomePod, make sure that you signed in to iCloud with your Apple ID and turned on iCloud Keychain. You also need to have two-factor authentication set up for your Apple ID.
  • Make sure that your iOS device has Bluetooth turned on and is connected to your home Wi-Fi network.*
  • Reboot your wifi router - unplug the router for 30 seconds

If they still don’t work:

•  you can also sign out of iCloud in the home app,  then sign back in 

Aug 21, 2020 9:28 AM in response to movieguy-13

sounds more like it’s the music app from your iOS device.

Please perform all below steps:

If the Music App isn’t responding 

Make sure your iOS software is up to date

Aug 29, 2020 10:26 AM in response to Vancouver22

Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion but it did not solve the problem.

(but perhaps it was part of the solution)

After resetting Network Settings I followed your first advice again (which I had done before, but prior to resetting Network Settings)

• Unpaired the HomePods.
  • lift the homepods off the surface and rock them gently to recalibrate.
  • Reset the HomePods and then re-paired them.

It's only been a few hours but they seem to work as a pair now.

Aug 21, 2020 6:47 AM in response to Vancouver22

None of the above works.

So frustrating! such a beautiful sounds, such a horrible interface.

I have 4 stereo pairs, the two pairs that I’ve tried the above fix on no longer show up as a Stereo pairs in control center nor the music app, but home app shows them as pairs. All 4 sets either randomly drop one of the pairs, slowly start playing out of sync or L and R play different music.

Stereo Pair Randomly Unpairs After 13.4.8 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.