Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac not shutting down or restarting reliably

My iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) is frequently not shutting down or restarting reliably... it gets as far as a black screen and then will 'hang' for many minutes.

So I have to do hard restarts, which is not ideal.

All software up to date, plenty of disc space and RAM, same has happened with previous macOS's... any ideas?

Thanks.

Bonus question... Safari is set to open on login - as are other apps - which it does, but it doesn't actually open a window. I have to click on the task bar icon to do that. Been like this over many macOS's. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 6:06 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 2, 2020 3:18 AM in response to dialabrain

Re your suggestion "make sure "Close windows when quitting an app" is unchecked in System Preferences" my apologies... I had the setting the wrong way round.

Working now... though I wish Safari would open fresh, without all the tabs from the previous session!

Bizarrely, since changing the two settings you suggested for the second question, the first issue about not shutting down or re-starting reliably has gone away. This is after YEARS of the issue.

I'd be amazed if the two issues were linked...

So thanks for the advice!

iMac not shutting down or restarting reliably

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.