Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac shut down unexpectedly, won’t restart

I have an iMac 24 running Yosemite. Has been great since I bought it in late 2008. All of a sudden, the computer shuts down and will not start up. It gets about 1/4 of the way through the progress bar and shuts down again. Same thing happens after several tries of restart. I don’t know what do at this point.

Can someone please help me?

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 11:24 AM

Your HD has likely crashed and must be replaced. Please take it to your local AASP to have the HD replaced with another HD or SSD.

However, considering the age of the computer it has been obsolete for many years now. You may want to consider spending any money towards the 2008's replacement.

9 replies

Sep 24, 2019 12:05 PM in response to Robbll

Please do not take it to your local Apple Store, they will not work on it. Your local independent AASP may though. BTW, Apple sells refurbished Macs and there is no downside to buying them. They are identical to a new machine, come with the same warranty as a new machine , are eligible for AppleCare, and can save hundreds of dollars. If you are in the US navigate to:

www.apple.com and the scroll to the bottom of the page. You will see a link for refurbished equipment. If you do not see what you want, then check often as inventory changes VERY fast. Finally, if cash is an issue they will finance assuming your credit is good. I think the last one I got was 12 or 18 months no interest which made my Mac very affordable.

Again, good luck!

iMac shut down unexpectedly, won’t restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.