Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compatibility of Samsung MZ-V7S500 970 EVO Plus 500gb ssd with MacBook Pro Retina mid 2015

Will a Samsung MZ-V7S500 970 EVO Plus 500gb ssd work on a MacBook Pro Retina mid 2015)?

Many thanks in advance.

Valeria

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 12:42 PM

Not without an adapter since this laptop uses a proprietary Apple PCIe SSD connector. Don't expect Samsung to assist you with any support though since their SSDs are not made to work in this particular Apple laptop. I'm not saying it won't work at all. I just don't know if this particular Samsung SSD will have any compatibility issues. I know some older model Samsung 2.5" SSDs have had compatibility issues with some Macs. Using an adapter and a third party unsupported SSD can make it harder to troubleshoot if you find your laptop isn't working correctly.

OWC makes an SSD specifically for this laptop and provides official support if needed.

Regardless of which SSD you use you should definitely keep the original Apple SSD just in case it is ever needed to install macOS or to upgrade the laptop's system firmware. Sometimes there can be issues doing this with a third party PCIe SSD installed (even an OWC one). It has happened twice already that I am aware of.

Also the laptop needs to already have had macOS 10.13+ installed so that the system firmware has support for third party NVMe PCIe SSDs. The third party PCIe SSDs can only be used with macOS 10.13+ since older versions of macOS lack the necessary NVMe driver required for the third party PCIe SSDs.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2020 12:42 PM in response to Myvaleria

Not without an adapter since this laptop uses a proprietary Apple PCIe SSD connector. Don't expect Samsung to assist you with any support though since their SSDs are not made to work in this particular Apple laptop. I'm not saying it won't work at all. I just don't know if this particular Samsung SSD will have any compatibility issues. I know some older model Samsung 2.5" SSDs have had compatibility issues with some Macs. Using an adapter and a third party unsupported SSD can make it harder to troubleshoot if you find your laptop isn't working correctly.

OWC makes an SSD specifically for this laptop and provides official support if needed.

Regardless of which SSD you use you should definitely keep the original Apple SSD just in case it is ever needed to install macOS or to upgrade the laptop's system firmware. Sometimes there can be issues doing this with a third party PCIe SSD installed (even an OWC one). It has happened twice already that I am aware of.

Also the laptop needs to already have had macOS 10.13+ installed so that the system firmware has support for third party NVMe PCIe SSDs. The third party PCIe SSDs can only be used with macOS 10.13+ since older versions of macOS lack the necessary NVMe driver required for the third party PCIe SSDs.

Compatibility of Samsung MZ-V7S500 970 EVO Plus 500gb ssd with MacBook Pro Retina mid 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.