Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro 13" 2020 with 4 Thunderbolt ports repeat shutdowns issue

My new MacBook sort of gave up on me. I have been noticing that it just randomly and abruptly just shuts down while on the Battery. The Battery and other software and hardware seems to be fine when I did the Diagnostics checks. The Mac also seems to be working pretty fine when in SafeMode and connected to the power cord. I am at close to 95% battery charge working on SafeMode as I write this.

Has anyone else faced this issue for the newer MacBooks? Apple Support did try out all the options but Im still stuck with this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 2:32 PM

8 replies

Aug 1, 2020 11:56 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Well I was with Apple Support around 3 hours trying to troubleshoot. Looks like for some reason during Recovery and normal operation my Macintosh Hard Drive failed to be 'mounted'. So I had to get into Recovery mode and mount the hard drive again.

Post that I do think that the random repeat shutdowns have stopped.

However, there's something new I noticed :

1. The % Batter power at my login screen is 3-4% lower than what it is when I fully log in and start to use my machine. Go figure!? Not very bothered about this one - as the tech support told me to format my machine - that was something that I was definitely not OK to listen to and OK to do!
  2. The other issue is, I tried to shutdown my 'Bluetooth' and anyway I tried to do it, it causes my machine to shutdown - rather abruptly. Need to definitely get this checked with calling Apple support for sure. This one is a BIGGER issue!

Aug 2, 2020 12:09 PM in response to nidhinkk

Right so, day 3. Tried the following:

1. Erased the machine and gave it a new OS install. However, with 2 admin users and the Bluetooth still handling faulty with shut downs. The battery issue continues. The random shutdowns though have been fixed.
  2. Then we tried creating a new volume and then installing the OS there on the new volume. Sort of looked like this might be the issue. However, worked for possibly 2 hours and then the Bluetooth shutdown issue reappeared and it is now not even triggered by the bluetooth. You startup the machine and it dies in 1 minute - for both the user profiles I created.
  3. SAFE mode in all still works - Bluetooth connects, Battery shows the correct %. and it does not shutdown on Battery. Staying Safe is nice - but it kind of kills the 'normality' - very covid-ish!
  4. :( need superior support help. Waiting to get this escalated now.
  5. This is a new machine and I don't know if other users who have the same configurations have the similar issues!

Aug 7, 2020 7:37 AM in response to nidhinkk

So I would think this is Day 5 or 6, Finally I got an apple support person to screen share and showed him the actual issue. I also showed him the battery % being weird. He has taken a Capture Data from my machine and send it to the engineering folks. Hopefully we should have some word in a couple of days. SO lets see.

Aug 15, 2020 2:03 AM in response to nidhinkk

A new update today 15-Aug-20 (Happy Independence Day in India)

I finally submitted my Mac to the service centre to get a full 3 day debugging and diagnostics check. I should possibly have an update by Tuesday next week 18-Aug and will post the update at that time. They weren't able to figure out what the issue was and its sure that they need to do more tests on the machine. The Bluetooth freeze and shutdown (yeah! it now freezes too !!) was replica table at the service centre.

New MacBook Pro 13" 2020 with 4 Thunderbolt ports repeat shutdowns issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.