Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MS Word 2011 on Mojave

I read assertions that MS Word 2011 works fine on Mojave, but when re-installing and setting up Office after erasing drive and installing Mojave due to prior problems, I found a couple of nasty things.

A particularly annoying problem was file suffixes not being automatically generated when creating pdfs directly from Word docs.

Anyone else getting this?

Am I missing something here?

Is there a way around it in preferences that I didn't find or think of?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 5:06 AM

A couple of thoughts:

Microsoft admitted they did not test Office 2011 for Mac on High Sierra, just before they ended support for the product in Oct 2017. If it works in High Sierra, or Mojave, then consider it fortunate. If it doesn't, then upgrade, which you may want to do anyway. Since Microsoft synchronizes their products with Apple's three-year sliding window of support, once Big Sur is released, Microsoft will then require Mojave as the minimum operating system for Office for Mac installations.

The issue of exported PDF not displaying an extension is not limited to MS Word, as it happens with Apple's Pages, and other applications too. The actual extension is on the file, it is just a Finder flag (hide extension) set that can be toggled in the Show Inspector (⌥⌘i), or Get Info (⌘i) panels. It is also a small matter to create a Finder Quick action that would do this toggle when right-clicking on the PDF.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2020 5:06 AM in response to lewguy

A couple of thoughts:

Microsoft admitted they did not test Office 2011 for Mac on High Sierra, just before they ended support for the product in Oct 2017. If it works in High Sierra, or Mojave, then consider it fortunate. If it doesn't, then upgrade, which you may want to do anyway. Since Microsoft synchronizes their products with Apple's three-year sliding window of support, once Big Sur is released, Microsoft will then require Mojave as the minimum operating system for Office for Mac installations.

The issue of exported PDF not displaying an extension is not limited to MS Word, as it happens with Apple's Pages, and other applications too. The actual extension is on the file, it is just a Finder flag (hide extension) set that can be toggled in the Show Inspector (⌥⌘i), or Get Info (⌘i) panels. It is also a small matter to create a Finder Quick action that would do this toggle when right-clicking on the PDF.

Jul 31, 2020 5:34 PM in response to lewguy

A few years ago I was upgrading a client's Mac and briefly researched Office 2011 compatibility and it seemed like it was hit or miss for people. For some users Office 2011 just worked with 10.13 and for others it caused nothing but problems. Either you have some other third party software installed causing conflicts with Office 2011 or you may be one of those unfortunate users where Office 2011 has issues. After realizing that the MS servers no longer authenticate a reinstall of Office 2011 I dropped it and left it to the user to deal with or to upgrade to a newer supported version of Office.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/get-started-with-office-2019

Or you can try using a free office suite such as LibreOffice.

Jul 31, 2020 5:41 PM in response to lewguy

I am not sure of the specifics with Word 2011and Mojave but I had Office 2008 for a long time and, starting about at macOS 10.9 Mavericks, Entourage and Excel would do strange things not seen in older OS versions. Nothing major, just irritating foibles that kept popping up. Word was not affected and I still have a Mac running High Sierra that has no issues with Word 2008. However, Mojave may be the break point.

Thus it seems to be a creeping incompatibility, and Microsoft has dropped all support for any version of Office:Mac older than Office 2016 so you will nt get any updates to help. YOu'll need to go to the subscription Office 365 or the standalone Office 2019. I have the laster and a quite happy with it

MS Word 2011 on Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.