Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create Standard Albums from Smart Albums to Sync with iCloud

This script "GregBZH35's Script: Create Standard Albums from Smart Albums to Sync with iCloud to iOS Devices" is exactly what I am looking for, I am currently on MacOS 10.15.6 and iOS 13.5.1.

Original Discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250075299

When I copy the script into Script Editor it complies and when I run the script, a new folder "SmartAlbums" is created, then the script appears to stop. I don't see a way to step through the code to see what is happening. Does this script still work with the current version of Photos and current OS's

The events log seems to stop before running the "repeat with FolderName in allFolderNames" routine:

tell application "Photos"

get name of every folder

exists folder "SmartAlbums"

get folder "SmartAlbums"

end tell

I know the script will take some time, could this script include some sort of progress indicator? My knowledge of scripting is very limited, I just wish I could figure this out myself.

Comment:

The version of the script at https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000561 is missing the first line "tell application "Photos""

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 10:49 AM

This kind of script does no longer work on macOS 10.15 Catalina.

We can no longer simply ask the Photos.app to return a list of all folders or all albums as in "get name of every folder". This will just return the top level folders or top level albums. All albums in folders will be skipped. To find all albums we have to open each folder and subfolder recursively, as described here: Photos 5.0 on Catalina: How to get a list… - Apple Community. This will make the code very slow.

The biggest problem, however, is, that the script will not include the smart albums. We can only find the standard albums this way. I have not found any way to handle the smart albums with an Apple Script since the upgrade to Catalina.

I hope, someone found a solution.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2020 10:49 AM in response to Dennis Jones

This kind of script does no longer work on macOS 10.15 Catalina.

We can no longer simply ask the Photos.app to return a list of all folders or all albums as in "get name of every folder". This will just return the top level folders or top level albums. All albums in folders will be skipped. To find all albums we have to open each folder and subfolder recursively, as described here: Photos 5.0 on Catalina: How to get a list… - Apple Community. This will make the code very slow.

The biggest problem, however, is, that the script will not include the smart albums. We can only find the standard albums this way. I have not found any way to handle the smart albums with an Apple Script since the upgrade to Catalina.

I hope, someone found a solution.

Create Standard Albums from Smart Albums to Sync with iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.