Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro says I need Administrator to log in?

I just bought a MacBook Pro from online and when I got the laptop from the guy, he said the account didn't have a password but I could change it if I wanted to. I changed the password and now it won't let me do anything in the settings or open some apps because I need the administrator to sign in. I tried using the password I set and using no password, no luck. I don't know what the issue would be.

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 6:12 PM

The issue most likely is that the seller did not complete all of the steps he needs to follow before the machine is disassociated from his Apple ID. As well, if he still has an administrator account on it, then there is no way you can log in without knowing his username and password as well as his Apple ID and password. And (unless he is careless) he will never give you that information. And, even if you could set up a user account on it, you can't download apps or OS updates or reinstall the OS without being an administrator.

So, you can either return it immediately for a refund because he sold you something that is not usable, or you can return it so he can follow all of the instructions here and then mail it back to you. Your choice. In any case, he owes you a refund or a machine that works - anything else is an excuse.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2020 6:12 PM in response to kala9190

The issue most likely is that the seller did not complete all of the steps he needs to follow before the machine is disassociated from his Apple ID. As well, if he still has an administrator account on it, then there is no way you can log in without knowing his username and password as well as his Apple ID and password. And (unless he is careless) he will never give you that information. And, even if you could set up a user account on it, you can't download apps or OS updates or reinstall the OS without being an administrator.

So, you can either return it immediately for a refund because he sold you something that is not usable, or you can return it so he can follow all of the instructions here and then mail it back to you. Your choice. In any case, he owes you a refund or a machine that works - anything else is an excuse.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

MacBook Pro says I need Administrator to log in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.