Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine backup fails with "Two of the disks to back up have the same name. Rename one of the disks named XXX"

hi

I have seen this question posted elsewhere but without an answer that helps me. Just updated to Catalina and time machine backup fails with "Two of the disks to back up have the same name. Rename one of the disks named XXX" where XXX was initially Macintosh HD but changes to what ever I change the name to in disk utility.

There is only on disk called that in disk utility. I took a screen shot covering both disk utility and the error here. I have tried reformatting the backup disk .

Wahid

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 8:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 1:41 PM

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having issues backing up your device via Time Machine. Let's perform these steps while booted to the internal drive (not when booted into Recovery)

1) Open Disk Utility from /Applications/Utilities

2) Within Disk Utility select one of the Macintosh HD - Data volumes in the sidebar and look at the (minus) button. If this button is greyed out and not clickable then we are looking at the active Data volume. If the (minus) is clickable then we are looking at the extraneous volume that can be removed. Click the (minus) button after identifying the extraneous volume.

3) Attempt Time Machine backup

If you continue to experience issues, please reach out to us here: Contact Apple Support

Have a great day!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2020 1:41 PM in response to wbhimji

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having issues backing up your device via Time Machine. Let's perform these steps while booted to the internal drive (not when booted into Recovery)

1) Open Disk Utility from /Applications/Utilities

2) Within Disk Utility select one of the Macintosh HD - Data volumes in the sidebar and look at the (minus) button. If this button is greyed out and not clickable then we are looking at the active Data volume. If the (minus) is clickable then we are looking at the extraneous volume that can be removed. Click the (minus) button after identifying the extraneous volume.

3) Attempt Time Machine backup

If you continue to experience issues, please reach out to us here: Contact Apple Support

Have a great day!

Time machine backup fails with "Two of the disks to back up have the same name. Rename one of the disks named XXX"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.