Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone USB missing from network interfaces in system preferences

I'm trying to use iPhone hotspot with USB, but the interface "iPhone USB" is missing from network preferences panel (see attached screenshot).

I tried to follow this: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT203302#usb, but the iPhone USB interface is also missing from the "+" menu (see attached screenshot).

I'm using macOS Catalina 10.15.5 on MBP 16-inch. Please help!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 8:07 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 4, 2020 5:41 PM in response to UTBadger

Hi UTBadger,

Thanks for your reply!

> Do you have the same issue when attempting to connect to your iPhone's Personal Hotspot over Wi-Fi?

No, it works properly with Wi-Fi; iPhone would show up as a hotspot option in the Wi-Fi menu.

> is your iPhone showing that it's recognized by your Mac currently and charging?

Yes it was connected, charging, and I selected "Trust this computer" when prompted. Unfortunately the issue still persists.

Thanks!

Sep 17, 2020 7:56 PM in response to kzl6

I have had the same issue happen to me twice now and the only thing I found to work was turn off the Wi-Fi on Mac, then restart both phone and computer. After start up, open the network preferences, then plug phone into USB port and you will probably be asked to trust this phone/computer. The iphone USB connection should reappear in the network prefs. This has worked twice for me now so I hope it works for you. I am on Macbook pro, 10.15.6.

Aug 4, 2020 2:33 PM in response to kzl6

Hey kzl6,

We understand that you're attempting to share your Personal Hotspot from your iPhone through USB to your Mac, but it's not showing up as an option to connect to. We'd be happy to help you out with determining what's going on.

Great job with going through the steps from If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular). That's a great starting point.

Do you have the same issue when attempting to connect to your iPhone's Personal Hotspot over Wi-Fi?

Lastly, is your iPhone showing that it's recognized by your Mac currently and charging? If not, test with another USB cable and/or port on your Mac.

Take care!

Aug 7, 2020 6:56 AM in response to kzl6

Kzl6,

You're welcome! Sounds like you're still having issues connecting over USB and that your device is being recognized the way you'd expect.

Next, we'd suggest testing things out in safe mode as outlined here: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the issue persists in safe mode, we'd suggest testing things out in a new user account to isolate things a bit further. For help doing so, check out: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Keep us posted on how things go and we'll move forward from there.

Take care!

Oct 31, 2020 10:02 AM in response to lovemachatemac

I tried every step said by Chris, but didn't work. Still thanks for all the possible ways. When I was almost going to reinstall my MacOS, however, I reboot my iPhone, the option 'iPhone USB' appeared again! Thanks, man!!!

I think the problem may come from the new version of MacOS on old MacBook and new iOS had to be restarted to activate the option of USB drives to Mac. Anyway, everything weird coud be fixed first by reboot all the devices, haha

iPhone USB missing from network interfaces in system preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.