Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro overheating

My MacBook Pro 15" 2015 is overheating. It gets very hot not matter what I am working on. I tried looking at community forums. Seems to be happening to a lot of others, but no responses. Some of the fixes others have posted are too technical for me. But no one has resolved this issue.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 9:41 AM

"Too hot" is very subjective. Your computer will shut down before it overheats. Try this advice:

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

2 replies

Aug 4, 2020 2:28 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thank you, Bob the Fisherman. Good to know my MacBook Pro will shut off before it overheats. But it does get hot enough that I can't have it on my lap, even when wearing jeans. I have read and followed the advice you suggested but it did not help. One thing that worked -- at least for a couple of days at a time. I don't know what this item does but it is a temporary fix. I would like a permanent one.

Open Activity Monitor

Find out what is using up the most CPU% -- it has been AddressBookSourceSync at 99.6 % to 100% or so--keeps changing

If I force quit that item--the MacBook is cool for a few days.

MacBook Pro overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.