Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Insertion of Unicode on Pages 4.1 and Numbers 2.1

Attempting, unsuccessfully, to insert unicode ② (H+2461) in Pages '09 4.1 and Numbers '09 2.1. Can Unicodes be entered by keyboard in these applications? I was successful with such an insertion in Pages 7.1 and Numbers 5.1. With the the concerned documents in the older applications, I prefer not to upgrade them to the new apps since previous experience has show a massive edit task is required to correct many issues. The steps taken are as followed:

• Apple Menu
  • System Preferences
  • Keyboard
  • Input Sources
  • Enabled “Show Input menu in menu bar”
  • Clicked on the “+” symbol to add a new keyboard input method
  • Clicked on “Others” option
  • Selected “Unicode Hex Input”
  • Clicked on “Add” button
  • Clicked “American Flag” icon of keyboard input on top menu bar
  • Selected “Unicode Hex Input”
  • “Unicode Hex Input” script displayed on keyboard input (top menu bar)

I was expecting to see the icon “H+” instead.

Nevertheless, at the point of insertion while, holding the the option key, I typed the code “+2461”. The results was the cursor shifted to right five spaces leaving a blank space. When “Enable View” was selected there were no symbols. When the cursor was moved back to the left over the space it had transitioned, it acted as if this space was under the influence of tab function.

The above steps were from this webpage: https://www.webnots.com/how-to-use-unicode-hex-input-method-in-mac/

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 10:41 AM

I don't know why you are talking about "H+". Unicode stuff uses "U+" before the codes and in the icon at the top of the screen. Also you never type the +, just the 4 digits, while holding down the option key. ②.

If that does not work, try using the Character Viewer (Edit > Emoji & Symbols). If you type "circled" in the search box, it should come up and you can just double click to insert.

I haven't had those versions of iWork for many years, so I can't test whether they have problems with these characters. I don't remember any.

PS I see VikingOSX has answered already, you get two for the price of one today.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2020 10:41 AM in response to MichaelPower212

I don't know why you are talking about "H+". Unicode stuff uses "U+" before the codes and in the icon at the top of the screen. Also you never type the +, just the 4 digits, while holding down the option key. ②.

If that does not work, try using the Character Viewer (Edit > Emoji & Symbols). If you type "circled" in the search box, it should come up and you can just double click to insert.

I haven't had those versions of iWork for many years, so I can't test whether they have problems with these characters. I don't remember any.

PS I see VikingOSX has answered already, you get two for the price of one today.

Aug 2, 2020 10:33 AM in response to MichaelPower212

With the Unicode hex input keyboard selected, Unicode strings can be inserted in text by pressing and holding the option key while enter the alphanumeric code string. So, for U+2461, it is option-key 2461 to enter ②. You can also launch the character viewer (Emojis & Symbols) panel with control+command+Spacebar, and then search for "circled digit" and then double-click the ② symbol to insert it.

With macOS Sierra, you really should be using the Pages '09 v4.3, Numbers '09 v2.3, and Keynote '09 v5.3 from the last (12/2012) iWork Update 9.3.

Aug 2, 2020 11:45 PM in response to MichaelPower212

"However, now that my spreadsheet has been opened and saved in v5.1 I am unable to open it in 2.1. When I do an alert says, ”the document is invalid. The index.xml file is missing.” Is there way to go back to rectify this?"

This is the File > Export to menu in Numbers 3.6.2. I son't know if the last Export to item is still available in version 5.1.

Regards,

Barry

Aug 2, 2020 1:37 PM in response to VikingOSX

Following your instructions to type in only the 2461 with the Unicode Hex input keyboard selected, the results with:

Numbers 2.1 was “⅝”.

Pages 4.1 no results.

Circled numbers are not listed in the Emojis & Symbols panel.

As to your recommendation to upgrade to following to use with macOS Sierra:

Pages 4.3

Numbers 2.3

Keynote 5.3 (an application I know not what it’s for and therefore probably don’t need it)

I do have the following versions of said applications that do accept Unicode input.

Pages 7.1

Numbers 5.1

They appear to be compatible with Sierra. I’ve only done small projects with them, so I can’t attest confidently to their applicability to Sierra. As to upgrading to the apps you recommend, I am at a loss how such a thing is done. Since my purchase of this iMac in 2010, I’ve been fat, dumb, and happy with the iWork suite that came along with it.

I know not how I came by these newer applications. I suspect they were installed by a computer repair shop to repair a failed hard drive with a 500GB solid state drive. Since I had several large documents, Pages & Numbers, I was unaware of the application default aspect when opening a Pages document. The end results was there were many key codes that were mis-represented. Fortunately, I was able to retrieve a backup copy and learned how to choose which app to use when opening it.

Taking an adventurous step today, I opened a cherished spreadsheet from Numbers 4.1 to 5.1. Initially, the appearance was fine. I was also able to input the Unicode. However, what one hand gives the other takes away. Under 4.1 there was a display bar of the tab positions. With 5.1 there was no such display in spite of selecting View > Show Tab Bar. The results of which displayed a bar with the title of the document. Being able to shift a tab stop by sliding it is very important in this composition instead of going to the tab window and guessing what number to input.

So, the question remains. Can Unicodes be entered from the keyboard for Pages 4.1 and Numbers 2.1?

Aug 2, 2020 1:49 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Under the older version of Pages and Numbers you direction to go to Character Viewer was at first a bust. Scrolling through all of the symbols, the desired circled number was not displayed. However, typing the word "circled" displayed a lot more characters that were not displayed in the preceding search. The circled number sought after was there and used. Thanks.

Aug 2, 2020 1:58 PM in response to VikingOSX

Tom Gewecke’s direction to type “circled” in the Symbols search box was successful at finding the circled number 2. Now, I would like to go back to the Numbers document and use the older version 2.1 for the reasons I expressed above (the tabs issue). However, now that my spreadsheet has been opened and saved in v5.1 I am unable to open it in 2.1. When I do an alert says, ”the document is invalid. The index.xml file is missing.” Is there way to go back to rectify this?

Aug 2, 2020 2:04 PM in response to MichaelPower212

The same techniques that Tom Gewecke and I have both posted — work in Pages '09 v4.1 (tested on Snow Leopard), and Numbers '09 v2.1 (again tested on Snow Leopard) just as it does in any version of Pages or Numbers through current (today).

Once you have selected Unicode Hex Input, click where you want it inserted, and then you press and hold the option key while you enter the alphanumeric characters in the U+2461 ② string. You do not type the U or the + symbol.

If you type, circled digit in the search panel of the characters (Emojis & Symbols) panel, you will see them. Clicking on any one of these will reveal its Unicode identity.

Insertion of Unicode on Pages 4.1 and Numbers 2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.