Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPAD Pro ONLY charges (slowly) when plugged into a computer

I've tried all different cables and charging blocks and it will not charge when plugged into a power outlet. It will charge (very slowly) via a cable plugged into a PC or laptop. It does show the 'Not charging' message, but it does charge slowly. I have tried all of the simple things like cleaning out the charging port (several times), restarting, hard rebooting and even resetting and restoring the iPad. This is a A1584 (first gen). Doesn't seem to be a battery or port problem, since it does still charge. Could this be a chip problem?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 7:18 AM

Thanks Michel. I chatted with Apple support and they suggested taking it to the genius bar for a diagnosis. Would still be interested in knowing if others had had the same issue and what the remedy was. I will also post the diagnosis once I take it to the genius bar.

Thanks Again!

9 replies

Aug 2, 2020 6:18 PM in response to RodMeeker

At this point, I suggest contacting/reaching out to Apple Product support and services.

Tap on the first link below and scroll down some to get to the Apple Product Support section and phone numbers for your location/region.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

OR

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

If you need to, if initial 1st tier Apple customer support is of no help to you, you can calmly ask to have this issue escalated up to more responsible, senior level Apple customer support employees to see if they can come up with other possible advice/solutions to your 1st gen iPad Pro charging issues, but I make no guarantees, whatsoever.

If need be, you can have your iPad issues escalated all the way up the chain to Apple engineering level customer phone support.

Even if no acceptable resolution, Apple, AT LEAST, logs all support calls and issues.

Best of Luck to You!

Aug 2, 2020 1:17 PM in response to RodMeeker

Very few computer USB ports can provide sufficient power to charge an iPad. Most iPad models require at least 10-12W at 5V to reliably charge an iPad.

Many desktop and laptop computer USB ports are typically limited to 2.5-5W at 5V (i.e., 500mA to 1A). Some do have a “high power” USB port, but even these may be inadequate to charge some models of iPad.

Most current iPad models are supplied with either a 12W or 18W Power Adapter.

I hope this information is helpful in explaining the probable cause of the charging behaviour that you observe.

iPAD Pro ONLY charges (slowly) when plugged into a computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.