Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad mini 5 smart cover not turning off iPad

We just upgraded my wife's iPad mini 2 to an iPad mini 5. The smart cover which is the same size and works fine on the iPad mini 2 does not turn off the iPad mini 5. How do I fix this.

iPad mini 5 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 3:36 AM

Whilst the two models of iPad mini share the same/similar dimensions, the magnet and sensor that operates screen locking has changed its physical location.

As such, whilst still providing screen protection when closed, a Smart Cover designed for mini2 will not operate a mini5.

6 replies

Aug 3, 2020 12:16 PM in response to _TC10_

It is what it is.

There may have been a very good reason why Apple changed the relative location of the internal smart cover magnets.

The internal arrangement of the new iPad Mini maybe different inside now, from previous Mini models, with additional hardware needed for the Apple Pencil and the extra screen layer needed, as well as, and any other additional components on the motherboard that are needed to accomodate Apple Pencil functionalities, such that the location of the internal cover magnets needed to have their location changed slightly.

We do not know anything for sure, but I am betting that this is the reason for Apple having to change the relative location of the internal smart cover magnets.

Ipad mini 5 smart cover not turning off iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.