Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 11 (v9.0.4) Detached audio not following video edit

Hi all --

To fix a lip-sync problem, I detached the clip's audio and moved it a bit later wrt the video.

But I needed additional video editing in that clip. When I delete video within the clip, the matching re-synchronized detached audio does not delete as well. In other words, I can delete a speaker's video, but the audio of the deleted section stays in the timeline, wrecking the show.

Is there a way to A) Re-attach offset audio to video for editing, or B) Edit the detached (sync'ed) audio to match the video.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 4:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 5:23 PM

HImmmm. I would think that iMovie 9 would have a split clip feature. I guess nothing in the Help menu describes it?

O.K. Try a workaround. Make a duplicate of the original audio clip and put both the original and the duplicate into the project, so that the original clip precedes the duplicate clip. Trim the right hand edge of the original clip back to the entry point where you want to begin your deletion of audio in the audio clip. Then trim the left hand edge of the duplicate clip to the exit point where you want to stop the deletion. That should remove the segment between the entry point and the exit point.

Yes, the nomenclature is confusing. iMovie '11 is actually iMovie version 9. The names are used interchangeably, so all kinds of confusion. I guess the logic of it, if there is any, is that iMovie 9 was created in year 2011, so both names are applicable. When iMovie '11 is used, it has an apostrophe to distinguish that the reference is to the year rather than the version. Still confusing.

-- Rich

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2020 5:23 PM in response to tuckfoot

HImmmm. I would think that iMovie 9 would have a split clip feature. I guess nothing in the Help menu describes it?

O.K. Try a workaround. Make a duplicate of the original audio clip and put both the original and the duplicate into the project, so that the original clip precedes the duplicate clip. Trim the right hand edge of the original clip back to the entry point where you want to begin your deletion of audio in the audio clip. Then trim the left hand edge of the duplicate clip to the exit point where you want to stop the deletion. That should remove the segment between the entry point and the exit point.

Yes, the nomenclature is confusing. iMovie '11 is actually iMovie version 9. The names are used interchangeably, so all kinds of confusion. I guess the logic of it, if there is any, is that iMovie 9 was created in year 2011, so both names are applicable. When iMovie '11 is used, it has an apostrophe to distinguish that the reference is to the year rather than the version. Still confusing.

-- Rich

Aug 2, 2020 4:38 PM in response to tuckfoot

I'm not very familiar with iMovie 9, as it is an older discontinued app. However, there should be a way of splitting the audio clip and trimming out a piece to sync it with the video clip. As I recall, you select the audio clip and then click on the gear icon and use the clip trimmer. Perhaps someone who is more familiar with iMovie 9 will chime in here. Meanwhile, you can try the help menu and type in something like "Edit Audio" and see if you can get some instructions.

From a work flow standpoint, it is much easier to edit your video clips first, then edit your audio to clip to sync.

-- Rich

Aug 2, 2020 5:05 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks for your reply.

I agree that it is always better to edit video first, but in the final program review I found a second or two that has to be deleted.

The clip trimmer only allows changes to the head or tail of detached audio. I can't find a mechanism to split detached audio to edit or move it internally. I have Pogue's "Missing Manual" book for iMovie '09 , and this issue is not covered.

It's also confusing that the version number of iMovie never corresponds to the year it was issued. For example, I am using iMovie 2011, which identifies itself as v9.0.4.

Thanks again!

Aug 4, 2020 7:46 AM in response to Rich839

The workaround worked perfectly, thanks! A bit of a PITA, but got the job done and saved the day.

If I may ask another question: When a small section of video has to be deleted from a very long program, making the selection requires zooming all the way out to see the head & tail, and then grabbing each yellow end and dragging them one at a time toward the spot of the intended deletion. Very slow and inefficient.

It would be great if, while zoomed to the exact spot to delete, I could set the selection bars directly.

The only workaround I've found is to execute a Split command on each side of the small segment, and then deleting it. Any better suggestions?

Aug 4, 2020 8:18 AM in response to tuckfoot

Yes, the split command would work to remove a small segment. Then you don't need to use duplicate clips. You just cut a piece out of the main clip. That's the way I would go. I mentioned the split command a couple of times, but was under the impression that it was not an option for you.

In any event, glad that you got it working.

Have fun. :)

-- Rich

iMovie 11 (v9.0.4) Detached audio not following video edit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.