Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDI buttons not detecting after clean install

Hi all,

I did a clean install of Catalina on my MacBook Pro (A1286), to have a bit of a fresh start after 6 years. I realised afterwards that my Apogee GIO would not work in Catalina, due to the old drivers - So I wiped it again and did a clean install of Mojave.

Now, I can't get the MIDI device buttons to detect - However the audio side of it does, as it's 'class compliant' from an audio input perspective - see https://knowledgebase.apogeedigital.com/gio/compatibility-gio/will-gio-work-with-macos-10-15-catalina/

I even tried a clean install of High Sierra, with no improvement.

Does Catalina update some firmware on the Macbook to make it incompatible with older MIDI devices once upgraded? It has been working perfectly in El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra & Mojave for years.

Note, I've got an old Macbook here (A1342) with High Sierra on it - That works perfectly with the MIDI buttons, same USB cable. Just doesn't have enough CPU for Mainstage (or anything else for that matter).

Both Macbooks are using the drivers from the Apogee site, and both the system & user Library directories appear the same under the Audio section.

I've also reached out to Apogee support, will see if they can provide any insight, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Main Macbook Pro (failing MIDI input)

Old Macbook (working fine):

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 8:22 AM

First off, Mac OS X doesn’t have a “clean install” option. IF by clean install you mean you erased the hard drive and reinstalled the operating system as it was on either system restore or internet restore, then yes, any third party drivers would have to be redownloaded from the vendor in question to be able to connect to external devices that are not standard part off the operating system. If Audio Midi Setup is unable to recognize the connected device, a separate device driver has to be downloaded. Contact the maker of the device for Macintosh compatible drivers.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2020 8:22 AM in response to henwoodenator

First off, Mac OS X doesn’t have a “clean install” option. IF by clean install you mean you erased the hard drive and reinstalled the operating system as it was on either system restore or internet restore, then yes, any third party drivers would have to be redownloaded from the vendor in question to be able to connect to external devices that are not standard part off the operating system. If Audio Midi Setup is unable to recognize the connected device, a separate device driver has to be downloaded. Contact the maker of the device for Macintosh compatible drivers.

MIDI buttons not detecting after clean install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.