Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect iMac 2019 to Macbook Air 2017

I'm trying to connect my Macbook Air 2017 to iMac 2019 so I can use the iMac as my dual screen. My Macbook Air has a Thunderbolt 2, so I bought a Thunderbold 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and connected that to the Thunderbolt cable to the iMac - I pressed the Command + F2 on the iMac and still nothing happened.

Did I buy the wrong cables?

Do I need to buy something else?

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 7:36 PM

bklynnite52 wrote:

thank you! and there is absolutely no way even with the right cables that 2019 Mac can be used as a display correct?

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. Learn how to identify your iMac model.

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

Yours is not one of the cited models. So... no.

Apple does include screen-sharing software, but that’s quite different than using your iMac as a display; from the Target Display Mode support.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2020 7:36 PM in response to bklynnite52

bklynnite52 wrote:

thank you! and there is absolutely no way even with the right cables that 2019 Mac can be used as a display correct?

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. Learn how to identify your iMac model.

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

Yours is not one of the cited models. So... no.

Apple does include screen-sharing software, but that’s quite different than using your iMac as a display; from the Target Display Mode support.

Connect iMac 2019 to Macbook Air 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.