Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded music, from my purchased CD's grayed out

I have downloaded many of my old CD's and put them into my library. I've sync'd these with no problems in the past to my classic ipod. Recently - within the last year - I see songs grayed out - - when I sync'd my ipod - only a few songs were loaded onto it. I am NOT a tech savy user and loved the simplicity of simply plugging my device into the computer and everything matching - playlists/songs etc. Now nothing matches - what is in my library is not showing up - grayed out - and what is loaded on my ipod is not what is in my library. I'm sooooo confused!!! What do I need to do :

1. To get the music I purchased and loaded to show up in my library?
  2. To get my whole playlists - as is from my library onto my ipod?

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 6:14 AM

first bullet - I'm still not clear - - the songs grayed out are not from Apple music or their catalog. They were downloaded from personal CD's I have collected over the years. So, if I bought a CD - - paid for access to all the songs on that CD - downloaded it into my itunes library I should be able to listen to that song - - -at least that is my thinking and that is what I have been able to do for the past 5-6 years.

Second bullet - - -why does the song have to be available in my country - - -I downloaded it from a CD - I see it in my library but it is grayed out - so I don't get that answer.

third bullet - I have no explicit songs

You did not address why my entire playlists - -as they are set up in my library on my PC are not syncing onto my ipod. When I go to sync itunes says, "Some items in itunes library were not copied to ipod because Apple Music songs cannot be copied to an ipod. To play Apple music songs on your ipod turn on icloud music library on ipod." I have a very old - ipod classic I don't think I can turn on Apple music - -if I can = please share with me how I do this.

I don't get this whole Apple Music thing. I buy my songs from the itunes store - - they go into my library - - they are mine now - I want them on my ipod - --what is so difficult about this? I've NEVER had to turn on some icloud feature before to get my music to sync from my PC to my ipod. What did Apple change to make this more difficult to do?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2020 6:14 AM in response to anonyme4321

first bullet - I'm still not clear - - the songs grayed out are not from Apple music or their catalog. They were downloaded from personal CD's I have collected over the years. So, if I bought a CD - - paid for access to all the songs on that CD - downloaded it into my itunes library I should be able to listen to that song - - -at least that is my thinking and that is what I have been able to do for the past 5-6 years.

Second bullet - - -why does the song have to be available in my country - - -I downloaded it from a CD - I see it in my library but it is grayed out - so I don't get that answer.

third bullet - I have no explicit songs

You did not address why my entire playlists - -as they are set up in my library on my PC are not syncing onto my ipod. When I go to sync itunes says, "Some items in itunes library were not copied to ipod because Apple Music songs cannot be copied to an ipod. To play Apple music songs on your ipod turn on icloud music library on ipod." I have a very old - ipod classic I don't think I can turn on Apple music - -if I can = please share with me how I do this.

I don't get this whole Apple Music thing. I buy my songs from the itunes store - - they go into my library - - they are mine now - I want them on my ipod - --what is so difficult about this? I've NEVER had to turn on some icloud feature before to get my music to sync from my PC to my ipod. What did Apple change to make this more difficult to do?

Aug 3, 2020 5:00 AM in response to DrGetAlong

Hello DrGetAlong

See If your songs are grayed out - Apple Support

Aug 18, 2020 10:07 AM in response to DrGetAlong

Depending on what view you are using greyed out might be the same as unchecked, and unchecked tracks are usually excluded from syncing. Try selecting a few of these tracks, right-click, and see if Check Selection is offered in the context menu. If it is, use it. In the Songs view you can check or uncheck all tracks by ctrl-clicking a checkbox.

tt2

Aug 18, 2020 5:38 AM in response to DrGetAlong

DrGetAlong wrote:

When you rip a physical CD that you bought into iTunes, it doesn't actually copy the music files from the CD, but matches the tracks from the CD with existing tracks in the iTunes store catalogue. This is part of iTunes Match

This means that matched tracks are subject to whatever licensing/copyright that the label/ Music Studio has decided on.

As the songs get matched with versions from the iTunes store catalogue, they are subject to copyright, licensing, content restrictions, and geographical availability as decided by the content owner (the music label).

What happened is that Apple launched Apple Music, a music streaming service. Apple Music gives you the ability to stream music to your devices on-demand. Apple Music retains iTunes Match capabilities, and displays tracks matched from your CDs alongside tracks that you added to your library from the Apple Music catalogue. It also displays your past purchases from the iTunes store alongside your other tracks.

Unfortunately, Apple Music doesn't work with any iPod classic, mini, nano, or shuffle.

Note that the iTunes store music catalogue and the Apple music catalogue are separate, and that a track can be available in one catalogue and not the other.

The best way to fix your issue would be to disable Apple Music. To do so go to the iTunes settings and uncheck "Show Apple Music" and "iCloud Music Library":

Downloaded music, from my purchased CD's grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.