Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Midi Keyboard not working with 16 inch MacbookPro

Hi!

I know the issue already came up but noone seems to have found a solution.

I bought a AKAI MPK 261 Midi Keyboard and I just can‘t get it to work with my 16 inch MBP... and I work as a technician in pro broadcasting :D

Using many different cables, external power etc. it wont be recognized in the Midi Studio or wherever, whereas it works like a charme when I plug it into my 27inch iMac and every other computer (but need to use it with the MPB only)

Any tips? :)

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 12:13 AM

I was able to solve the problem using an active (!) USB 2.0 (!) Hub for the keyboard. It's actually pretty ridiculous, but it works... and I used a proprietary USB-C to USB-A connector, no breakout box, wouldn't work with my breakout boxes and the hub either :D

So --> small cheap usb c to a adaptor and active usb 2.0 were the solution for me... had a chat with the AKAI support and the told me it had to be USB 2.0 and stuff when working under Catalina...

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2020 12:13 AM in response to Carl_32

I was able to solve the problem using an active (!) USB 2.0 (!) Hub for the keyboard. It's actually pretty ridiculous, but it works... and I used a proprietary USB-C to USB-A connector, no breakout box, wouldn't work with my breakout boxes and the hub either :D

So --> small cheap usb c to a adaptor and active usb 2.0 were the solution for me... had a chat with the AKAI support and the told me it had to be USB 2.0 and stuff when working under Catalina...

Aug 5, 2020 1:39 PM in response to EricSiebert

Hello EricSiebert,

Thank you for contacting the Apple Support Community! We see you are having an issue with connecting your Midi keyboard to your MacBook Pro device, it is important to be able to connect them efficiently.

This article had information Midi setup.

Test your MIDI setup.

From the Midi keyboard website they have compatibility information and troubleshooting steps to help with the issue:

MacOs 10.15 Catalina and IOS 13 Support for AKAI PRO

Troubleshooting USB MIDI devices on Mac | Akai Professional

Akai MPK2 Series - Frequently asked Questions

Take Care!

Sep 1, 2020 11:35 PM in response to MoonJ.

I am having the same issue with my MPK261. It was working for a few days on my new MacBook Pro 16 and then all of a sudden it stopped showing up on my computer. It works with my old 2011 MacBook Pro and using the same cable. I tried all the articles on the AKAI website. I tried Test your Midi Setup and that doesn't work either.

Midi Keyboard not working with 16 inch MacbookPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.