Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad mini 3 and a mini 5 as my small portable writing computers

I plan to use an iPad mini 3 and a mini 5 as my small portable writing computers. I am a poet, novelist, and essayist. I had been searching for a very small portable writing computer when I was given the iPad 3 and learned that Microsoft Word is available For iPad.

For both security reasons and reduction of battery usage, I work offline. I only use Wi-Fi for these devices, not a cellphone network. I am only online: 1. To transfer data, such as manuscripts, book cover images, etc.; 2. For research; and 3. For those system updates described below in my first question.

1. How often do I need to log on to the internet to be sure the devices are properly updated in terms of security, virus protection, general OS updates, etc.?

2. Is there any reason working offline is bad for the devices, such as incomplete updating risks?

3. Can the devices be complete turned off to conserve power when not in use, and is this a good or bad idea?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 4:03 PM

Yes - 1Blocker Legacy:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/legacy/id1025729002

I hope this information has provided helpful solutions for your needs.

5 replies

Aug 3, 2020 2:58 PM in response to Buck_Jack

Major update support for iPad mini3 has ended - although there have been some minor security updates over the last year. The current version is iOS 12.4.8.

iPad mini5 is current and is in mainstream support. The most recent update is iPadOS 13.6. This iPad mini will continue to receive updates for the remainder of iPadOS13.x and the forthcoming iPadOS14.

1) Security updates are released by Apple as and when needed - not by a defined schedule.

There is no AntiVirus protection for iOS/iPadOS. Whilst this system architecture is not susceptible to virus infection in the traditional sense (unless jailbroken - which is definitely not recommended), there are malware threats to which the system remains vulnerable. These risks are mainly browser based - and can be effectively mitigated using a good content blocker product such as 1Blocker for Safari (highly recommended).

2) Working offline poses no additional risk

3) Complete shut-down is possible. If predominantly using the iPad offline (minimising network connection), shut-down of the device will offer no functional detriment - but lack of network connection and shut-down will obviously inhibit automatic device backup.

Aug 3, 2020 3:53 PM in response to Buck_Jack

Thank you. That was a very comprehensive explanation. I also chose to switch to iPad because of the more safe architecture. I believe your explanation has offered a plan for me. I am protective of devices and do not want to change often. It seems I can use the two iPads exclusively for the writing process and business, securing the 1Blocker for Safari to protect from malware for getting online only for chores like publishing and copyright registration. Otherwise, with the limited online time and the structure of the Apple system, these machines should have service lives well beyond the end of the official Apple support. I have two small 8 inch Kindle Fire tablets I have done a great deal of research with, and they hold many bookmarks for me. I will simply continue to expose them online for research. They're much cheaper to replace.

iPad mini 3 and a mini 5 as my small portable writing computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.