Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro vs. Mac Book

Quick question - our family is interested in purchasing the newest iPad Pro. We would be using it for a variety of reasons, one of the being as a computer. So my question is, is there anything a the Mac Book Air can do that an iPad Pro can't do?

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 5:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 6:29 AM

As a “shared” computer, the MacBook can do a lot that an iPad (of any model) cannot do.

A fundamental difference between Mac and iPad is that the iPad is only intended to be a single user device - whereas the Mac is designed to support multiple Users, each User having their own profile. Having multiple user profiles keeps sensitive information (such as logon credentials and passwords, private email and messages, credit card details etc.) entirely separate. An iPad fundamentally does not support multiple users or multiple user profiles.

As much as I would love to highlight features and benefits of iPad, a device for which I have considerable love, I cannot in good conscience recommend that you contemplate an iPad for use by multiple users. You will very rapidly stumble upon insurmountable issues with unintended sharing of information and data - and will quickly become frustrated.

Whilst a Mac can be shared, each user should have their own iPad/iPhone.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2021 6:29 AM in response to katiesegiel

As a “shared” computer, the MacBook can do a lot that an iPad (of any model) cannot do.

A fundamental difference between Mac and iPad is that the iPad is only intended to be a single user device - whereas the Mac is designed to support multiple Users, each User having their own profile. Having multiple user profiles keeps sensitive information (such as logon credentials and passwords, private email and messages, credit card details etc.) entirely separate. An iPad fundamentally does not support multiple users or multiple user profiles.

As much as I would love to highlight features and benefits of iPad, a device for which I have considerable love, I cannot in good conscience recommend that you contemplate an iPad for use by multiple users. You will very rapidly stumble upon insurmountable issues with unintended sharing of information and data - and will quickly become frustrated.

Whilst a Mac can be shared, each user should have their own iPad/iPhone.

iPad Pro vs. Mac Book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.