Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing Application Icons on Macbook Desktop

Hi, so this may sound like a stupid question but whenever I downloaded the Google Chrome application onto my macbook an icon for it also appeared on my desktop. Is there a way to remove the icon from my desktop without deleting the actual application?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 12:29 PM

When you double-click on a downloaded application to launch its installer, that installer will remain mounted on the Desktop after the installation, sometimes with an application icon, and not just a blank drive icon. You can right-click on this particular installer Desktop icon and choose Eject. This will have no bearing on the installed application.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2020 12:29 PM in response to WillC09

When you double-click on a downloaded application to launch its installer, that installer will remain mounted on the Desktop after the installation, sometimes with an application icon, and not just a blank drive icon. You can right-click on this particular installer Desktop icon and choose Eject. This will have no bearing on the installed application.

Aug 3, 2020 12:18 PM in response to WillC09

All your Applications are kept in the Applications folder, if you have icons on the Desktop of applications you have

downloaded and installed then these are most likely Aliases or Shortcuts to the App. They will probably have a little arrow

at the bottom left, it is safe to move them to the Trash and empty it without affecting the actual app in any way.

Aug 3, 2020 12:18 PM in response to WillC09

Where on the computer do your downloads usually go? If it's the Desktop, then the icon is the application's disk image. Deleting it deletes the application contained therein.

Please read Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question. We are here to help. We are all users. We are not mind-readers nor clairvoyants. We only know what you write down and tell us. Be specific and thorough. Include your hardware information and installed version of macOS. Try to write clearly. Think about what you want to say before you write it down, then re-read it to see if it makes sense.

FYI: These are user-only forums. This is not Apple Support. if you need to contact Apple Support, then contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

These forums only provide help with Apple products. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Removing Application Icons on Macbook Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.