Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to download files that have no application to open them

I need to export Quickbook format files from a website, which I will then transfer to another computer to open. But because I don't have quickbooks (or any application that will open the file) on my mac (MACOS Catalina 10.15.6) I cannot export the file and save it (am using Chrome). I'm not asking my Mac to open the file, I just want to download the file. I haven't had any issues before, I don't know what's changed.

Yes I know I can download the file on the other computer directly, but that's not the point.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 1:42 PM

3 replies

Aug 3, 2020 2:09 PM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

Strange goings on! Safari worked fine for downloading the file directly to my "downloads folder", so that's great, and I'm sorry I didn't just try this myself earlier. However then I noticed that I had already downloaded the file through Chrome. Chrome is set to ask me what folder to download to, but in this case it hadn't, it just downlowded straight to "downloads folder" opened up the dialog box telling me there was no app to open the file and that's it.

Usually when I download a file in Chrome it asks where to download it to, then opens a bar at the bottom showing the downloaded file (as it had done 2 minutes previously from another site), when I didn't see this, I assumed the download had failed.

The mischievous elves in my laptop are at it again....

How to download files that have no application to open them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.