Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get English subtitles on "The Wild Goose Lake"? The original is in Chinese.

The movie I just rented on AppleTV is in Chinese. It's not showing subtitles. How do I turn them on?

3930X,

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 4:14 AM

Subtitle options are not the same worldwide. So in which country or region are you, when trying to view this content?

This movie in the US iTunes Store should have English subtitles.

• Languages

For accessing subtitles in the Apple TV app on Roku:

Apple TV app user guide for smart TVs and third party streaming devices - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2020 4:14 AM in response to GrannyMudita

Subtitle options are not the same worldwide. So in which country or region are you, when trying to view this content?

This movie in the US iTunes Store should have English subtitles.

• Languages

For accessing subtitles in the Apple TV app on Roku:

Apple TV app user guide for smart TVs and third party streaming devices - Apple Support

Aug 3, 2020 4:10 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Nowhere on the television Roku/AppleTV description of the movie did it mention subtitles or dubbing (or for that matter that the movies was not in English, but certainly it was predictable. If I use my desktop Mac instead in Itunes it mentions there are subtitles. If I download and play it on the Mac I get the subtitles. I suspect the Roku Apple TV platform doesn't support subtitles. I'll just view the movie on my mac instead. And be cautious in the future before renting foreign films.

Aug 5, 2020 9:16 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Sorry for forgetting the breadth of the audience. I am in the US. My problem arises because I am using a roku device with an old dumb TV. I could not access any of the subtitle or closed caption settings. When instead I streamed the movie on my Mac using iTunes the subtitles were automatic: nothing on my side to make them appear. Also in a previous week when I streamed an English language film on Apple TV + roku + dumb TV I couldn't get closed captions for it. I see it's a limitation of this particular combination. Some streaming channels + roku use the '*' remote button to access the caption options, some let you chose on-screen when you pause the stream. Apple TV has a different path that might have worked with an Apple TV remote. Or a smart TV or another non- roku platform. The way out for me was Mac + itunes. If I outlive this TV I suppose the next one will be smart.

How do I get English subtitles on "The Wild Goose Lake"? The original is in Chinese.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.