Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete pictures off my “I” phone 8 without impacting my IPad and my IMAC

How do I delete pictures off my iPhone without removing them

from my IMac,IPad, and my MAC book pro?

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 4:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 4:53 PM

As long as you have iCloud Photos turned on in all 3 of those devices, you cannot.

iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2020 4:53 PM in response to Jstougard

As long as you have iCloud Photos turned on in all 3 of those devices, you cannot.

iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

Aug 3, 2020 4:55 PM in response to Jstougard

You can’t. iCloud is a syncing service, not an archiving service. If you don’t want to keep them on your phone you need an archiving service, such as Google Photos, Dropbox, box.com, shutterfly, Microsoft OneDrive, Livedrive, etc. All of these have apps for your iPhone that will archive automatically.

For your Mac specifically you can export photos from the Photos app to a folder or folders, but for iOS devices there’s no way to do it.

How can I delete pictures off my “I” phone 8 without impacting my IPad and my IMAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.