Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blue screen, vertical lines and reboot

Hello everyone, suddenly yesterday morning while I was using Photoshop, the display of my iMac became all blue. Then it automatically restarted and after this, during start up, the background was always blue and the Apple logo was on a square splitted into two parts: the left one was ok but the right part was grey with horizontal lines. It constantly restarted without my commands.

I also tried to:

• run hardware test --> No problem found after the analysis
  • boot from usb (Ubuntu, just to recover) --> central black and blue striped square for few seconds then restart
  • boom from Recovery partition (pushed Alt button on startup) --> automatic restart

Is there a way to fix this problem? I would like to know if I can recover at least my important files.

Thank you in advance, I am desperate.

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 12:41 PM

Looking like a failed GPU, the tests you tried are rudimentary at best. Please take the computer to your local Apple Authorized Service Provider to be professionally diagnosed and then you will know for sure. You can try some basics such as resetting the NVRAM and restarting in Safe Mode however I think your problem is hardware.

NVRAM Reset & Safe Mode Reset instructions

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2020 12:41 PM in response to AlessandroLorena

Looking like a failed GPU, the tests you tried are rudimentary at best. Please take the computer to your local Apple Authorized Service Provider to be professionally diagnosed and then you will know for sure. You can try some basics such as resetting the NVRAM and restarting in Safe Mode however I think your problem is hardware.

NVRAM Reset & Safe Mode Reset instructions

Aug 5, 2020 12:29 PM in response to AlessandroLorena

Yes, please use Time Machine or use either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a clone. I'd use TM though, this is something you should have been doing since the computer was new. Operating any computer without a backup plan is a 100% guarantee of lost data. Backing up requires that you get an external HD that has 2--3 times the capacity of your storage.

For example, if you store 1.2 TB of data your Time Machine backup should be about 3 TB!

Please read https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250 to learn how to backup using Time Machine. For an external HD I strongly recommend one of these:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ME3NH7T04/

Blue screen, vertical lines and reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.