Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using external Data Drives for iMac (Bootcamp & MacOS)

Hi all,

im interested in getting one of the new updates iMacs. But with that said for a desktop computer I’m. Not sure 512 GB will be useful for what I will be using it for.

so I had a thought without needing to spend $1k for a 4Tb SSD. But the top of the default line of iMacs and then spend less and get 2 external hard drives.

i would then split the 512 into equal parts like I have my MacBook Pro. And install bootcamp and windows.

1 external would be a data drive for use with MacOS. (I.e. iMovie, etc)

the other external drive would be a data drive (D:) for me to install apps to like on my larger tower today. So steam, etc could exist there.

but then windows will see it as a detachAble usb drive and not work like a second drive in. And then reduce the goal I was going for.

Any thoughts any other topics I had not thought about which might get this setup as needed? I don’t mind a 256 ssd drive in Mac for windows and macOS but I don’t want to be buying this realizing this has to be fixed internal only

please advise when you can for suggestions and setup

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 11:16 AM

Ultimately I ended up being the 2299 iMac 27 (2020) version and 2 external SSD's by Samsung (T7 - non touch) and have them connected via USB C to the thunderbolt ports.

I split the internal SSD (512) into 2 equal partitions giving me plenty of space for apps and such and then used a 2TB for Windows and a 1TB for MAC. Its working out perfect, I have iMovies with an external movie bank on the external 1TB and iPhotos External library on it as well.

Windows I have games, applications and more on the 2TB drive.

No issues, everything seems smoothly and super fast with a great quiet system and fantastic screen. IT works smoothly and wanted to advise back for anyone else interested in the process before the intel chipsets go away. The external SSD's on sale were way cheaper than the MAC internal option and in turn it allowed me to purchase apple care instead. So I'm good until I can discard the use or need for Windows.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2020 11:16 AM in response to BDAqua

Ultimately I ended up being the 2299 iMac 27 (2020) version and 2 external SSD's by Samsung (T7 - non touch) and have them connected via USB C to the thunderbolt ports.

I split the internal SSD (512) into 2 equal partitions giving me plenty of space for apps and such and then used a 2TB for Windows and a 1TB for MAC. Its working out perfect, I have iMovies with an external movie bank on the external 1TB and iPhotos External library on it as well.

Windows I have games, applications and more on the 2TB drive.

No issues, everything seems smoothly and super fast with a great quiet system and fantastic screen. IT works smoothly and wanted to advise back for anyone else interested in the process before the intel chipsets go away. The external SSD's on sale were way cheaper than the MAC internal option and in turn it allowed me to purchase apple care instead. So I'm good until I can discard the use or need for Windows.

Aug 5, 2020 4:21 AM in response to BDAqua

For the data on the external drive I don’t care about performance for the cost of a SSD, usb-c is fast enough for that. But the concern is for MAC OS on one of the external drives and Windows 10 on the other drive always connected being considered as internal for ease of software installation and integration.

im not sure if for this if a grieve or other brand is better or if windows 10 will bark considering the external as a external/removable drive. (Which I don’t want). I want it to be considered as always mounted and not sure if others can advise who have tried this setup or process

Aug 5, 2020 6:34 AM in response to BDAqua

I’m thinking about this further, and I believe all drives (USB) that are not thumb or memory cards (ie sd) are eligible for windows to consider mounted media.

i think I had a qualm once trying to use a SD card as installation space and where my mind is hung up with this concern.

Therefore I might be ok, but could really appreciate any guidance or advisement from others. I may do some tests with a regular windows only device later today

Using external Data Drives for iMac (Bootcamp & MacOS)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.