Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change the name of the home directory folder?

I followed the directions here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201548

They do not work. After creating the new admin account, and logging into the new admin account, and following the directions to get to the screen, I can not see the home directory whose name I want to change. The new admin account does have all of the permissions as it has been marked as an admin account. I can only see the home directory for the new admin account. Sharing is disabled.

Please help.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 11:01 AM

Ahh. It looks like I changed the 'folder/home directory (that looks like a folder from another admin account) then logged into the other userid and everything went FUBAR. I realized I should have completed all of the name changes under the same new admin account, so I logged out and back into the new admin account, changed the name for the directory that looks like a folder to a new name (it wouldn't let me duplicate names) and then went over to change the username to match the home directory name.

Keychain didn't like that.

Now, I can log into the renamed account and directory. I had to locate licenses, and re authenticate all of my apps, which is a pain.

I feel like all of this could be avoided in the future if the directions were more descriptive about the icon for the home folder/directory when being viewed from another admin account. Changing my name in this was emotional for me--when people change thier names it is usually for an emotional reason, so I hope others can avoid the tears and frustration I experienced with a simple edit in apple's support article & user-friendly software updates.

Thanks for the help.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2020 11:01 AM in response to Barney-15E

Ahh. It looks like I changed the 'folder/home directory (that looks like a folder from another admin account) then logged into the other userid and everything went FUBAR. I realized I should have completed all of the name changes under the same new admin account, so I logged out and back into the new admin account, changed the name for the directory that looks like a folder to a new name (it wouldn't let me duplicate names) and then went over to change the username to match the home directory name.

Keychain didn't like that.

Now, I can log into the renamed account and directory. I had to locate licenses, and re authenticate all of my apps, which is a pain.

I feel like all of this could be avoided in the future if the directions were more descriptive about the icon for the home folder/directory when being viewed from another admin account. Changing my name in this was emotional for me--when people change thier names it is usually for an emotional reason, so I hope others can avoid the tears and frustration I experienced with a simple edit in apple's support article & user-friendly software updates.

Thanks for the help.

Aug 5, 2020 9:11 AM in response to Nightlark

Delete the new Admin user and create another with a different name.

If you want to import your files, you can, but depending on what you have to move, it may be difficult to get everything correct. But, changing the name on the other account may run into the same problems as you may get with copying the files.

In order to move the files, you need to give your new user read access to the old home folder. You can do that in Get Info, Sharing & Permissions.

Get Info on the old home folder and click the padlock under the Sharing & Permissions section to authenticate.

Then, click the + button and add your user. It should set it as read only. That is fine unless you want to just Move the items instead of copying them. In that case you would need to change it to Read/Write.

With the permissions set and logged in as the new user, open each of the subfolders of the old home and copy/move the files from the old account into the same folder of the new account. To move instead of copy, use cmd-opt-v instead of cmd-v. Or, hold down Command key when you drop the files via drag and drop.

I wouldn't bother with the Library, but that would require you configuring apps and accounts again. Some things you might want to try to copy:

• Application Support
  • Calendars
  • Mail
  • Preferences
  • Any application specific folders

If you have created any of the following or added items to the folders:

• Workflows
  • Services
  • Sounds
  • Audio/Sounds/
  • Scripts

I'm not sure if the the keychain can be moved. You could try. You'd have to use Keychain access to add the new keychain, change the password, and then set it as the default.

If that doesn't work, you may have to just start over. You'll need the old password from your old user account to change the password.

If the Library folder isn't visible in the old home folder, you can get to it using Go To Folder… in the Go menu.

The path to the old home Library will be /Users/<oldNamedFolder>/Library.

You can open your new account Library by holding down the Option key and selecting Library from the Go menu in Finder.

How can I change the name of the home directory folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.