Changed Home Directory in Users & Groups advanced settings to / instead of Users/username

I am unable to login to my account after making this change. I was trying to find an application using Terminal that was in my HD applications folder rather than my User Applications. I am afraid I have really messed something up. Please advise!

MacBook Pro 13″, 13.4

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 2:44 PM

Here's what Apple has to say about that: Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support. Note the warning.

At this point you can try a reinstall of macOS: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Or as a last resort: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

I have no idea if a restore from Time Machine will rectify the situation, but if you can login you can try: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

If you can't login, you can't create a new user.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2023 2:44 PM in response to Cwright1111

Here's what Apple has to say about that: Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support. Note the warning.

At this point you can try a reinstall of macOS: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Or as a last resort: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

I have no idea if a restore from Time Machine will rectify the situation, but if you can login you can try: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

If you can't login, you can't create a new user.

Sep 19, 2023 3:08 PM in response to Cwright1111

If you can create a new admin account, you could use that account to fix your other account's home folder.

In the future if you are play with this level of advanced user games, you should ALWAYS have a fresh full backup of your system you can restore from.

And already having a backup admin account is always useful.

And playing on a spare system you can sacrifice is even safer, because you can wipe it and start from scratch with only some wait time, but no loss of valuable data.

You can use the 'find' command from Terminal to search for things. It does not need you to change your home folder.

Changed Home Directory in Users & Groups advanced settings to / instead of Users/username

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.