Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K Problem

I have the AppleTV 4k hooked up to my LG OLED 65" TV (OLED65C7P)

I am using an Amazon Basics cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08225D9GX). It is Dolby Vision compatible and it is working.

1. If I activate the TVs built in settings window it works and I can make changes. However, upon exiting the menu the AppleTV display is lost and the entire screen looks almost like a piece of canvas cloth with vibrating vertical and horizontal lines. AppleTV appears dead. I have to physically unplug the device to get it working again.
  2. I am using the "Plex" app and periodically the sound is dropping out for a fraction of a second. Not having this problem with other devices running Plex app hooked to same TV. The source content is 1080p. The picture is amazing, but this is annoying. Happens on all videos I watch.

Thanks for help on these issues.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 8:34 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 5, 2020 10:09 AM in response to SSD999

You may have 2 issues going on. First is your HDMI cable should be a very high quality HDMI, something like the following that is designed to carry 4K content:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-4-4k-ultrahd-hdr-in-wall-rated-hdmi-cable-black/3720002.p?skuId=3720002

Your second issue may be your network may not have adequate bandwidth to carry a 4K signal without loss of audio. Please start with the cable and test, if the issue is resolved then your network should be okay for now. If the problem persists, please post back and we can ask some questions about your home setup to get an idea if the issue is a networking bandwidth problem.

Aug 6, 2020 5:09 PM in response to QuickPost

Model# A1842 (32 GB)

tvOS 13.4.8 (17M61)

BTW - I saw that my AppleTV was connected via Wireless and not to the hard wired network. I resolved that issue. My issue with the weird patchwork screen isn't happening now. I will do more watching and see if the audio glitch is fixed too. Will open a new issue if I have add'l problems. Thank you again!

Aug 6, 2020 5:23 PM in response to SSD999

Thanks for the quick response.

I found that my AppleTV was connected to the Wireless network, so that may be the issue. The canvas looking screen isn't happening now when I switch the settings. I will do more watching and see if the audio glitch is gone and if not see about a different HDMI cable. The one I bought has the right specs, but it could still be marginal I suppose.

Apple TV 4K Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.