Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWatch storage full

Hello,

I’m having an issue with my iWatch. I can’t update it because it says my storage is full. When I add up the usage on the apps, it doesn’t come close to the amount it says is used up (ie- all my apps total ~200 MB but it says the storage is full at 4.8 GB). I have deleted all the messages on it, there is no music in it and no photos. What could be taking up all the storage and how do I fix it???

If anyone can help I’d be very grateful!

Apple Watch

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 4:23 PM

Try unpairing and pairing your watch again and restoring from the backup. This deletes all temp and corrupted files and re-indexes the file system. This helps free a lot of space.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Mort

4 replies

Aug 6, 2020 2:17 PM in response to LD2002

First, try a hard reset of the watch, and thereafter download and install directly on the watch.

After repeated update attempts via both iPhone and the watch itself for the watchOS 6.2.8 update had failed because of the supposed lack of storage space, I did a hard reset of the watch followed by installation directly on the watch.

Bingo! The update installed and left even more unused storage than had been reported before the update.

iWatch storage full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.