📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPadOS 18 is now available

Explore new ways to work with Apple Pencil, discover new experiences in apps, and customize iPad even further. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pen 1 Charging Time

How much time do i need to charge my apple pencil 1, using the 12W charger of my Ipad?

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 3:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 4:03 AM

Your Pencil will optimally charge at its fastest rate when connected directly to your iPad. From “flat”, full charge will usually take 10-20 minutes. A few seconds charging from the iPad will provide about 15 minutes of active use.

When charging from a Power Adapter, using the adapter supplied with the Pencil, charging of the Pencil will take much longer. This method of charging, whilst viable, appears to be intended to “float charge” the Pencil, over longer periods, to maintain its charge. Whilst not having explicitly measured charging times from a Power Adapter, the charging time from a low charge state is much longer - possibly up to a few hours.

As a side-note, it is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless.

If the Pencil Battery fails, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil.

I hope this information proves to be helpful to you.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 6, 2020 4:03 AM in response to josenoel09

Your Pencil will optimally charge at its fastest rate when connected directly to your iPad. From “flat”, full charge will usually take 10-20 minutes. A few seconds charging from the iPad will provide about 15 minutes of active use.

When charging from a Power Adapter, using the adapter supplied with the Pencil, charging of the Pencil will take much longer. This method of charging, whilst viable, appears to be intended to “float charge” the Pencil, over longer periods, to maintain its charge. Whilst not having explicitly measured charging times from a Power Adapter, the charging time from a low charge state is much longer - possibly up to a few hours.

As a side-note, it is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless.

If the Pencil Battery fails, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil.

I hope this information proves to be helpful to you.

Aug 6, 2020 4:18 AM in response to josenoel09

You’re very welcome.

At first sight, the extended charging time when connected to a Power Adapter doesn’t seem to make much sense - and often causes questions to be asked. The described behaviour is entirely normal.

It is not necessary, nor is it advisable, to fully discharge a Pencil prior to recharge. It is necessary to keep the Pencil with usable charge at all times. If allowed to remain in a discharged state for any length of time, the tiny internal battery can suffer irreversible damage; the best strategy is to keep the Pencil at full charge when unused.

Apple Pen 1 Charging Time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.