Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install libraries needed for R...

Hi all,

I want to install libraries for R 4.0.2 on my 2019 Macbook Pro. However, when I try to install it, Terminal throws me an error.

This is the code I use:

<Quote/>

curl -OL http://mac.R-project.org/libs-4/xz-5.2.4-darwin.17-x86_64.tar.gz

sudo tar fxz xz-5.2.4-darwin.17-x86_64.tar.gz -C /

</Quote>

The error I get is:

<Quote/>

usr/local/: Can't restore time

tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

basbaas@work ~ %

</Quote>

Is there a way to solve this? I have googled, but I could not find a solution.

Many thanks & kind regards,

Bas

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 9:29 AM

# designate downloads location and perform curl and extract tar package into downloads location
(cd ~/Downloads && curl -OL URL..tar.gz && tar -xzf ./fxz xz-5.2.4-darwin.17-x86_64.tar.gz)

You really do not want tar to unpack this into your root (/) folder of the operating system, even if you had the privileges to write there using the tar -C / . This library should be placed in /usr/local/lib, or in /Library/Frameworks depending on the installation instructions that should be in that extracted ~/Downloads content.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2020 9:29 AM in response to basbaas

# designate downloads location and perform curl and extract tar package into downloads location
(cd ~/Downloads && curl -OL URL..tar.gz && tar -xzf ./fxz xz-5.2.4-darwin.17-x86_64.tar.gz)

You really do not want tar to unpack this into your root (/) folder of the operating system, even if you had the privileges to write there using the tar -C / . This library should be placed in /usr/local/lib, or in /Library/Frameworks depending on the installation instructions that should be in that extracted ~/Downloads content.

Cannot install libraries needed for R...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.